Where can I buy sodium hydroxide?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Reaction score
Where can I buy sodium hydroxide now that Red Devil Lye is off the shelves? Do any local stores, such as hardware, chain stores, sell it or do I have to order it off the internet and pay high prices and high shipping.

Our Lowe's doesn't sell it anymore because they said people kept stealing it.

I found it at a little mom 'n pop True Value hardware store.

Lowes has it...in the Plumbing aisle. My local True Value will order it for me, they just don't keep it on the shelves, except for 1 bottle at a time. We have known the owners of this True Value for years and if they don't have it...if they can order it for you, they will.

I get mine from Paul. :D Even with shipping, it works out to be a hair cheaper than buying it locally.

Besides, Lowes has never put a goodie in my bag. And I love goodies!! :lol: :lol:

Digit

digit said:
I get mine from Paul. :D Even with shipping, it works out to be a hair cheaper than buying it locally.

Besides, Lowes has never put a goodie in my bag. And I love goodies!! :lol: :lol:

Digit

I love giving goodies! :lol:

Paul :wink:

Certified Lye

I buy from Certified Lye. Great product, manufactured in the US, shipped fast, packaged securely and accurately, with great customer service.

We are low priced in compared to others, and only offer American made lye! No haz-mat fees, no handling fees, and great shipping rates. All orders ship the same or next day if a regular shipping day. :)

See my new packaging here;

lyeincontainers002.jpg

lyeincontainers009.jpg

lyeincontainers008.jpg

Shipped out 32 pounds today ordered yesterday and the day before. :wink:

Paul :wink:

That's a better package Paul. I was pricing out NaOH today and decided the package was a partial determinant. Baggies are handy, for the seller, but some kind of containers like 2# "jars" are more convenient to the user.

The most attractive sellers were selling like 8 or 16 2# containers in bulk for a 16# or 32# order, cheap enough to make internet ordering and bulk shipping economical.

One company mentioned in this topic, ships less than 8 pounds, and a bit more too, but has other "fees" associated with the transaction. I will add shipping 16 pounds to my store, Greg.:)

Paul

Other fees are no good. Anybody who is going to order lye on the Internet is out for a good deal, and you don't get good deals on onesey-twosey pounds. You either buy at Lowe's like me, or you score a big hit online and make a 2-, 3- or 6-month score.

Just checking my notes, I'd buy 32# if I were going to buy online. I'm thinking about it. :) Checking out the prices. :)

Soapmaker Man said:
We are low priced in compared to others, and only offer American made lye! No haz-mat fees, no handling fees, and great shipping rates. All orders ship the same or next day if a regular shipping day. :)

That is so funny, I was just pondering your lye 5 minutes ago. lol

deleted due to brain not being engaged while fingers kept typing. :lol:

digit said:
Lovehound said:
You either buy at Lowe's like me, or you score a big hit online and make a 2-, 3- or 6-month score.

I bought at Lowes to make my first few batches to see if I really wanted to pursue soapmaking.

Well, I did not mean to hijack the thread or go on and on. I know there some who do not agree with me and they have their reasons. This is just my 2 cents, no fuel charges included. :lol: I will get down off my soap box now and go attend my soap pot instead. :roll:
You make me sound like some selfish evil person for supporting Lowe's. In fact I've purchased lye only twice, since I too am still deciding if I really want to pursue soapmaking. It is premature for me to purchase lye in bulk quantities because I don't want to end up with a dozen pounds of lye and flagging interest.

You can call your local chemical supply company and they can sell you lye, usually for less than $50 for a 50lb bag (the highest I have ever been charged was $2 a pound locally.)

Lovehound said:
You make me sound like some selfish evil person for supporting Lowe's. In fact I've purchased lye only twice, since I too am still deciding if I really want to pursue soapmaking. It is premature for me to purchase lye in bulk quantities because I don't want to end up with a dozen pounds of lye and flagging interest.

No, no, no, Lovehound! I did not mean anything like that at all. Like you, I purchased there too. I was noting that it worked out for me to be about the same price wise at the point where I am now, with 8# being a good amount to have on hand. Therefore, I choose not to support the big box store in this case.

I was wrong to post and go on my tangent. My apologies to Lovehound and anyone I may have insulted as it was certainly not my intentions. :oops:

If I wanted to insult you, I would sneak over and eat your fancy crayons. :lol: :lol:

Digit

No offense taken. :) I just felt that I wanted to point out that I'm not in league with the devil and his evil big box stores. :)

Actually I'm down to my last 2# container and probably have to buy more in the next few days anyway, and still don't feel like buying more than perhaps 2-4# this time, so I'll probably once again go and support the evil big bad store. The nerve of Lowe's, staying in business like that! ;)

Maybe I can run over a few squirrels with my car on my way over to Lowe's. ;) I'm bad. ;)

Latest posts

Back