When using raw honey in soap, are you limiting your color options?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
I want to make a honey and oatmeal soap but after reading and watching soap making videos, I realized that a majority of them do not bother to color their soap. Yes I agree that it has a nice light brown color, but what if I wanted to make my soaps more colorful? Use bright yellow or white or blue? Will it just discolor to brown?

You can add colors, but whatever you add will get muddled by the honey. Colors are only as bright and pure as the base they're mixed with, and honey will color the base.

When I add honey it discolors my white soap to light beige. Colors are a bit muddled as FlyByStardancer said but they don't get drowned out by it. I usually just take the discoloration into account and work around it.

That's when you use cocoa powder for colorant, or coffee instead of water for the lye. Lots of color options that will work fine with the browning of the honey.

Thank you guys for your help! This is what came out when I finally tried it. I think I added a bit too much yellow because I was afraid it was going to get darker but lesson learned. Overall I'm happy with the results. Thanks again!

DSC03999.jpg

That's absolutely gorgeous. Really effective colours. It works so well.

That's too cute! What are the little bees made of?

The little bees are actually little buttons. I make handmade domino pendants and was going to use them to make one in the future. I thought it added a nice touch to the soap I made so I scrambled to get them out of my closet and use it for decoration :p

Back