When to start selling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting discussion
The one thing I did pick up was that it was implied that South African government is only now teaching its kids to wash their hands.
Well I am sorry that the parents of the writer of that comment did not teach her/him about cleanliness but ours did.
I am 55 and I clearly recall doing the handwashing thing at nursery school.
But then again - we are South African you know....... third world and all that.......... :). We just run around the streets in animal skins and play with the lions.
Thanks for the link to our own governments regulations - but I have had such for a very long time.

Oh my goodness - I've just had a look at your legislation @Donee'
If you can get someone with a bit of legal skill to assist with the interpretation, it might be worth doing!

But, from the limited amount of looking that I've done, it looks like your acts are not consolidated.
(A "consolidated act" is where the laws are updated as they are changed - all of the changes are consolidated, or put together into, the original law.)
From what I can tell, your acts (laws) and every amendment are still all separate.

Ok ... where I'm up to. When you look at an act, there will be a bunch of "related links" underneath - if they start with "Amendment", those are part of the law too (and you will need to look at them, if you want to check whether they apply to you and your business).

Soap manufacturing is covered by this Act:
https://www.gov.za/documents/foodstuffs-cosmetics-and-disinfectants-act-2-jun-1972-0000

The link that Jill found is a proposed amendment (as far as I can tell - I could not find a matching amendment to your laws - do check yourself please). If this does pass into law, it will tighten up manufacturing of soap past what I have to comply with and bring your laws closer to the European model.
http://us-cdn.creamermedia.co.za/assets/articles/attachments/72502_41351_rg10790_gon1469s.pdf

Medicine manufacturing is covered by this Act:
https://www.gov.za/documents/drugs-control-act-7-jul-1965-0000

Something I've noticed about your governments law website - searches are sensitive to plurals ... so if you search for "Foodstuff", instead of "Foodstuffs" (as a for-instance), you will not find the law that relates to soapmaking.

Last edited:
To be honest, I can see a time when there is a global harmonisation for cosmetics (in the same way as there is for other products) provided the US can get the legislation passed. I think from memory that the FDA proposed some tightening up of the regs at some point but it was squashed by one of the parties as it was felt it would stifle small businesses.

But if US businesses want to compete with the trading areas such as the EU and SA etc they will need to comply anyway. Personally I think it would be a good thing and provide a level playing field but I also recognise it woulld change B&B pdouct making/selling considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back