When to remove ash and what is the best method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmar22

Reaction score
When and how should I remove soda ash from some of my bars that are roughly 3 days old?

It's rare that I get ash, but when I do, I wait until my soap is completely cured to remove it, because if I remove it much earlier than that, I've found myself having to remove it again once cured, which makes sense because ash is caused by water mixed with any bits of excess alkali evaporating out of the soap and reacting with the CO2 in the air. Ash that is washed off of a 3-day old soap may return since the newly made soap is still curing and evaporating off water.

IrishLass :)

I use a bit of alcohol in a small tub of water and wash my soap after it has cured too. I noticed that the alcohol gives it a nice shine. Then I just let them dry on a rack.

It's rare that I get ash, but when I do, I wait until my soap is completely cured to remove it, because if I remove it much earlier than that, I've found myself having to remove it again once cured, which makes sense because ash is caused by water mixed with any bits of excess alkali evaporating out of the soap and reacting with the CO2 in the air. Ash that is washed off of a 3-day old soap may return since the newly made soap is still curing and evaporating off water.

IrishLass :)

I think it was the activated charcoal that I used which caused it. Only the portion that I mixed with it has ash. Is that unusual?

Back