When to package?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have quite a few batches of soap that need to be packaged (found cellophane treat bags from Hobby Lobby) before our vacation the last week of July. Since I don't sell, I have no idea when it is best to package them. Some are 8 weeks old, and have been tested. If I go ahead and package them, will they be OK until then, or should I wait as long as possible before packaging?

Also, since I will have multiple scents going to each recipient, should I forgo having a "sniff hole", or will the scents not mix?

When I package I make sure they can breath so when using small plastic bags I cut the corners off ( at least). I do not sell either but I have heard that soap needs to breath or I'm asking for DOS to rear it's ugly head. The scents do not seem to mingle once the initial cure is done.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience than I have will chime in soon.
Steve

I normally don't package mine until I'm ready to gift them- anywhere from 4 weeks old to beyond- but many remain unwrapped by the recipient months down the road (because when I gift, I normally gift a boatload at a time, lol). I package them in glassine-type paper (wrapped present-style), and I cut a breathe/smell-hole through the wrapping with a decorative scrapbooking stamp. So far, none have come down with DOS.

Edited to add: the different scents don't seem to mingle either.....at least not in any lasting way- i.e., once unpackaged from the wrapper and used, the soap smells just like it's supposed to.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back