when to cut soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoeybean

Reaction score
I am not sure how hard or soft my soap should be to remove it from the mold, I have put it in a large Christmas paper tube approx.2" and want to unmold it asap so I can put it in a larger cylinder mold and pour soap over it to make a color ring around it, also how hard should it be to cut it? will it feel sticky, hard, soft-ish ? this is the first time I have made soap and was just curious.. thanks

i normally cut my CP at 18-24 hours depending on the recipe. If you have lots of soft oils, then it will take longer. If you give the recipe, it would help. But if you can easily dent the soap with your finger, it is probably not ready.

i normally cut my CP at 18-24 hours depending on the recipe. If you have lots of soft oils, then it will take longer. If you give the recipe, it would help. But if you can easily dent the soap with your finger, it is probably not ready.
Thank you Susie it is about half olive oil, I would be more than glad to share the recipe if it were mine but I got it from a friend and I'm not sure if she would approve or not, we discussed everything but I failed to ask about the hardness, beings I am pouring another color over it I thought it best to do it right away and maybe that doesn't matter, I made a white soap(I hope) and want to put a brown ring around it with coconut FO added to the outside ring, hoping the FO turns brown...

If you end up cutting too early and its too soft (I am famous for this as I LOVE to cut soap and not very patient), it will cause drag marks. You can fix this by spraying 90-91% alcohol on the soap and rubbing the marks out.

Thank you Susie it is about half olive oil, I would be more than glad to share the recipe if it were mine but I got it from a friend and I'm not sure if she would approve or not, we discussed everything but I failed to ask about the hardness, beings I am pouring another color over it I thought it best to do it right away and maybe that doesn't matter, I made a white soap(I hope) and want to put a brown ring around it with coconut FO added to the outside ring, hoping the FO turns brown...

I think almost all (if not all) coconut FOs discolor to brown.

Well I unmolded my soap (its been 24 hrs.) and the ends were perfect just like Dixie described but the middle of the cylinder was sticky and small chunks stuck to the liner I used, anyway I patched it best I could and dusted it with cocoa and centered it in a larger cylinder mold, poured my coconut island soap over it, now to wait... this is to much fun I see lots of soap in the future...so fun I ordered more stuff I didn't need, / the FO was nice and strong but it didn't smell much after I added it hope it smells nice in the end.

Latest posts

Back