When to add glycerine to hot process shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistral

Reaction score
I've successfully made shaving soap using the hot process method. Now I'm thinking of adding glycerine. At what point should I add it?

You can pretty much add it any time you want during the soap making process. That said, I usually add it at the end of the cook right before I want to put the soap into a mold or whatever. The added liquid makes the soap a little softer and easier to scrape out of the soap pot. The downside is it does take some arm power to blend it in well.

Ditto. Though I think IrishLass includes hers from the beginning.

Deanna, I hear you. If I ever start making a bunch of batches of shaving soap, I'm going to have Popeye arms.

Ditto. Though I think IrishLass includes hers from the beginning.

Deanna, I hear you. If I ever start making a bunch of batches of shaving soap, I'm going to have Popeye arms.

I did added it at the end for my most recent batch, but I'll add it at the beginning of the next batch, to see if it makes any difference.

I thought this was interesting, and I want to see how I can solidify the soap by increasing the Stearic Acid (from soy wax and Kokum butter) Tons of stuff to try, I'm a newbie :)

I've always just added mine up front with my oils. It's never sped up trace for me that I've noticed.

IrishLass :)

You can pretty much add it any time you want during the soap making process. That said, I usually add it at the end of the cook right before I want to put the soap into a mold or whatever. The added liquid makes the soap a little softer and easier to scrape out of the soap pot. The downside is it does take some arm power to blend it in well.

Interesting. Mine makes the mixture stiffer - more like mashed potatoes than the vaseline-like texture after it's cooked but before additives.

Do you think that might be from cool glycerin meeting warm soap, Eric? I see some of that too, but as the glycerin becomes better mixed into the soap, I'm seeing the soap become a little more pliable and a bit easier to stir. I'm not talking miracles here ... just a modest change. Maybe we're seeing different outcomes due to your soap being cooler than mine? Not sure.

Latest posts

Back