When to add EO/FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For CP soap you have basically three choices. The most common way is to add your fragrance at trace. The problem with this one is that if your fragrance is a very fast mover you can go from trace to soap on a stick in a blink of an eye. You have to be sure you have incorporated this oil really well before pouring and sometimes you are racing against the clock. I am not really sure about this part, but it makes sense...your fragrance is not being hit with fresh lye...it has had a chance to begin doing its thing with the oils and maybe is less destructive. The second choice is to add the oils and incorporate well into the oils before adding the lye. Since I soap RT, I like to do it this way. I am not subjecting my fragrance to hot or very warm oils. This is supposed to be a good way when you have a fast mover. You are sort of taming the fragrance oil abit so it does not move so fast. The third way is sort of inbetween the two..adding the FO or EO at just after emuslion or very light trace. That way you fragrance does not get hit by fresh lye but you are not waiting till the last minute either when you could get concrete. You don't have to stick to just one method. You can use different methods for different fragrances. I have been adding my EOs at trace recently because I feel they may be more fragile than the FOs. Florals I add to the cooled oils...they can move very fast. Sometimes you just have to take a good guess if you have a new fragrance. Check the Scent Review to see if someone has had acceleration with the fragrance you want to use.

Yikes...sorry for the typos...
On the second method, I meant to say: add the EO/FO to the cooled oils, stir well, then add lye water!

I usually add them to the oils before adding my lye solution. The exception is when I have an FO that discolors and I don't want a portion to contain the FO because of that - then I add it to the "batter" after pulling out the swirl portion.

I've noticed NO difference in the final scent of the fragrance based on when I add the FO. The VAST majority of the lye is still present at trace so I don't believe that is an issue. NOR have I seen a difference adding to warm oils vs room temp. I soap around 100F, but even when I added at 120 (for lard recipes which are SLOW, or OO ones) I got the same fragrance impact in my finished soap.

I add mine before my soap reaches light trace, or just when it's reaching the point of coming out of emulsification. I've soaped my formulas so many times that I can now sense when it's reached this point like clockwork.

I've done it a few different ways, and this is the way that works best for me.

IrishLass

Latest posts

Back