When to add citric acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
Will citric acid dissolve in my lye solution or do I need to add to water before sodium hydroxide?

Definitely dissolve the CA before adding the NaOH.

I actually like to slightly warm the water to make the CA dissolve faster, so if I’m not using MB lye solution, I separate out a bit of the batch water. That way I don’t warm up all of the water, and then have to wait longer for it to cool down.

Most of the time I am using MB lye solution, so I can simply warm up the additional water for which the recipe calls.

is citric acid a natural additive?
It depends on how you define "natural." :) Many folks consider it one of the more "natural" chelators for soap products, and for adjusting pH in a variety of products, including liquid soaps. It is exists in nature and is part of the biology and chemistry of most living organisms. It's found in many fruits, especially citrus fruits. However, most of the citric acid produced today is lab-fermented from a type of mold. Online articles about it make for an interesting read if you are into that kind of thing. :)

It depends on how you define "natural." :) Many folks consider it one of the more "natural" chelators for soap products, and for adjusting pH in a variety of products, including liquid soaps. It is exists in nature and is part of the biology and chemistry of most living organisms. It's found in many fruits, especially citrus fruits. However, most of the citric acid produced today is lab-fermented from a type of mold. Online articles about it make for an interesting read if you are into that kind of thing. :)
I'm guessing it depends where people get their citric acid from?

The place i'm ordering it from.. said it made from citrus fruits

I'm guessing it depends where people get their citric acid from?

The place i'm ordering it from.. said it made from citrus fruits
That's great! It would probably considered "natural" by most people who use that term.

Unlike "organic," the term "natural" can have very different meanings, depending on who is talking, and what they are talking about. Within the US, the term "natural" in relation to CP soap is not defined or regulated by the FDA, although it might be regulated at the state level by specific states.

I have been using citric acid in my soaps to help prevent DOS. I have and do also use ROE - my question is should I use both in the same recipe or is it a “one or the other” choice?
As an antioxidant, ROE helps prevent rancidity. It is usually added to the oils before making soap, thereby keeping the oils "fresh" longer, if you will. However, it is not a chelator.

In contrast, citric acid becomes sodium citrate after it reacts with lye, and SC is a chelator. While a chelator does help prevent rancidity in soap, it also helps with lathering, and prevention of soap scum.

A fair number of us on SMF use both ROE in our oils (pre-soaping), and another chelator in the soap batter, whether that is SC, sodium gluconate, EDTA, etc. :)

Back