When to Add Citric Acid if Using Frozen Goat Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
Hello all, I've set the date and I finally get to make soap on Thursday!

I read that citric acid is generally dissolved in the water that is used to make your lye solution, but what should I do if I am using frozen goats milk for my lye solution? I can't exactly dissolve the citric acid in something that is frozen. Should I replace some of the goats milk with water, dissolve the citric acid in that, and then add the lye to my frozen milk/water mixture or is there a way here that I'm not thinking of?

Hopefully, @Basil or one of the other GM soap makers will happen along to offer their advice.

In the meantime, check out DeeAnna's Soapy Stuff where she talks at length about using Citric Acid in soap. Scroll all the way down to Acids & Salts.

For myself, I've found that it's best to make sure the citric acid is completely dissolved before adding it. So. I make a 20% citric acid solution ahead of time that I keep with my soaping box to use as needed. Rather than adding it to the lye solution (personal preference), I add it to my oils with other additive(s) I'm using. It's usually such a small amount that I don't deduct it from my liquid amount. I'm not recommending that, just saying. 😉 :thumbs:

I don't use milk, but I have successfully frozen citric acid dilluted in water to make my lye solution with ice.

@Zany_in_CO, how long can you store your citric acid solution? I suppose it doesn't spoil, right?

replace some of the goats milk with water, dissolve the citric acid in that, and then add the lye to my frozen milk/water mixture
Assuming you want to keep your milk frozen, that is what I would do. If you want to add the CA to the oils, you can warm some of your goat milk, dissolve the citric acid in that and then stick blend it into your oils before adding the lye (strain it to be sure all of the citric acid is completely dissolved).

My brain needs very simple , so I use sodium citrate and use Anthony’s from Amazon. From Classic Bells “ Typical dosage for sodium citrate is 13 g to 39 g sodium citrate powder for every 1,000 g fats (1.3% to 3.9% of total fat weight). Use more for hard water, less for soft.”@DeeAnna. So I started using 15gm for every 1000 g . It was easy to figure out. I add it to twice the amt of distilled water(30gm) and I heat the water in the microwave because it dissolves better. I then just add it to the oils. I actually have added to the goat milk to dissolve if I have it unfrozen. Either way, it’s pretty simple and works well and so far no complaints . I SB my oils and additives before I add the lye just to make sure it’s all blended well. If you don’t make sure the sodium citrate is dissolved well, you can feel the grit in the oil. Makes sense how @Zany_in_CO does it. 👍🏼Sodium citrate is also used for cheese so I have it for both. Makes life simple for me lol.

Latest posts

Back