When should i cut my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nazla

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole cold process soap thing. How long should i wait before I cut it? What will the consistancy of the soap be at this point?

Also, what is the best method for storing soap while it cures? Can i store it in tupperware bins? Or does it need to be out in the open, like on a shelf or something.

Thanks in advanced!!

I cut mine as soon as I take it out of the mould, and store on cake racks for the 3-4 weeks before using it.

When I first take it out of the mould, it is firm but you can still make a dent with your finger if you poke it. It takes a week or 2 to get hard enough that it won't dent.

You can cut your soap after 24 hours in the mold. If you use a full water method, sometimes it's best to wait 48-72 hours to cut. You run the risk of denting bars if you cut to early. It also depends on the recipe used. A lot of soft oils will make a soft bar initially. Hard oils a hard bar and you can cut early even with a full water method.

As you can see, there are several factors to consider.

I've made DW (discount water) soap and let it sit in a log mold for two months or more before slicing it and it sliced fine. I also use a wire slicer which sliced much smoother than a knife.

Back