When rebatching, can i combine 2-3 different batches together?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaohga

Reaction score
Can I add several different soap batches which has different ingredients, EOs etc together and rebatch?
I have 2-3 want-to-fix soap batches but the quantity isn't that much so I was wondering if I can mix those together and get a one big batch and don't have any problems.

Thank you!

Interesting question. You guys, I hate rebatching, and when things have really gone wrong, just usually end up throwing the batch away. One of Carolyn's recent posts made me rethink that (she adds A/C and oatmeal for a mud scrub, that sounds kind of cool.)

But the batches that I would have rebatched have diff problems. Of the 100+ or so done so far, maybe 3 that clearly overheated, another couple that ended up as soap on a stick b/c of FO's, I think, and three that I am pretty sure failed b/c of a bottle of bad lye (I did not even want to guess on how to to jigger that on rebatching). So would it work to rebatch all of these at once, given their different problem sources? Hope this makes sense.

ETA: Also, how long could I wait to rebatch? Could I wait for several months in between to allow doing several at once, like this?

Last edited:
Not_ally- speaking only for myself, I would have no qualms about re-batching any of your failed batches. I'd do it in a heartbeat to save my soap from the trash heap. The only problems that would make me consider throwing out a batch is if it had DOS or if it had un-dissolved lye crystals in it. Everything else is salvageable in my book.

You can re-batch soap any time, but the sooner you do it, the easier it is. Brand new soaps need only be chunked up and heated down with no extra liquid added (usually, depending on your original water amount).

For older soaps, I like to grate them with a grater, spray the flakes/gratings with water from a spray bottle, mix well, and let them sit for a day (covered) before rebatching. This helps the soap to absorb some water, which helps things to go easier for me once I start heating it.

As I heat, I add water as needed via a spray bottle (to keep me from adding too much).

IrishLass :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back