When Making HP soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth0Mitchell

Reaction score
...I've heard its better to use too much water....is there any negative effects of using too much water...and if so....should i add the extra water in when i do the lye solution.....oo im so lost lol

Do you mean adding excessive amounts of water? I wouldn't use a water discount, but too much water added will make it take much longer to cure/harden. I only did CPHP until recently. I always used the full amount of water, I guess that works out to a 33% lye solution. I did hold back some oil to add after the cook to superfat with, sometimes a small amount of canned goat's milk concentrate as well. Many add a small bit of water after the cook to make it more fluid, make it easier to get into the mold, but I've never tried that myself.

I think the idea of extra water/fluid is to get a smoother batter. HTH :)

When I use to make HP soap, I used the full amount of water that was given. Meaning I didnt take a "discount". Using the full amount of water helped keep the soap more smooth for pouring.

I tried an experiment once with HP.... I used an excessive amount of water (I usually use a 50% lye solution- here I used about a 20% lye solution). The excessive amount of water slowed the reaction WAY down. It took forever to trace, then took even longer to gel. I had to heat and stir for almost an hour before enough water evaporated off for the the reaction to get going. Now I'm back to using a 50% lye soluton. I keep a few cups of water nearby which I add slowly as the soap is cooking. (after the soap gels). I add just enough water to keep the soap a bit more fluid than mashed potatoes. This way, the soap will stay together when I glop it into the mold and will not be crumbly. It takes about a week after I cut it for the soap to dry.

Latest posts

Back