When Doves Cry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness! I hadn't heard this yet. How sad. He was an oddball but he was an in incredible performer and a real activist.

Oh, I hadn't heard that yet. RIP Prince - your purpleness will be missed.

My memory of him... My older sister LOVED Prince, but my father was from the old country/very traditional and banned him from the house. To hide her much-loved poster of him, she put it on the back of a bulletin board with a purple unicorn poster on the front. I always thought that was particularly appropriate. Dad never did find him.

My favorite song of his is "Starfish and Coffee". Off to go listen to that...

Back to post this...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBxxOPEVsg[/ame]

Last edited:
2016 has not been a good year for celebrities thus far. Bowie, Lemmy, Rickman, Corbett and now Prince :cry: It's like the universe is trying to eradicate all the highlights of my childhood.

He was a very talented and creative man. I loved Purple Rain (the movie as well as the song) but I think my favourite was Darling Nicky :wink:

2016 has not been a good year for celebrities thus far. Bowie, Lemmy, Rickman, Corbett and now Prince :cry: It's like the universe is trying to eradicate all the highlights of my childhood.

He was a very talented and creative man. I loved Purple Rain (the movie as well as the song) but I think my favourite was Darling Nicky :wink:

Darling Nicky is my favorite too! Several years ago I took a long road trip to visit a friend on the California coast. I blasted Prince and Aerosmith on my car's cassette player the whole way, re-playing Darling Nicky and Pink, singing at the top of my voice, to stay awake. Of course I sung in perfect pitch and harmony with Prince and Steven on that journey. :lol:

When I was in high school, I was working with my mom and aunt at a concession stand in a college stadium in Philadelphia. This was back in early 1982, I was only 16 at the time. Anyway, the venue was hosting a concert and the majority of the ticket holders were gay men in leather. I, quite naturally, assumed it was some kind of drag show or something like that. NBD. When the act came on stage, the concession stand was empty. I got to go watch the show (I was excited, I had never seen a live drag show). It turned out to be this tiny little black dude with the highest platform shoes I have ever seen in my life. That skinny little dude had more energy and athletic ability than an entire gymnastics team. I was absolutely mesmerized and star-struck. That was my introduction to Prince. I will never forget standing there just staring, mouth agape and this very large black man in skin tight red leather nudging me and saying in his girlie voice, "Isn't he amazing? Oh, I can just eat him up!" That was actually the best concert I've ever seen. I'm so glad my mom took that job (even though she didn't want to). It benefited us. I ended up with an awesome memory. One of the concession stand customers owned a restaurant. He and his partner started chatting up mom and she ended up working for them for five years. I worked there, too, when I was a senior in high school. It's funny the things you remember. I guess it goes to show that Prince made a huge impact on my life when I was a kid. I used to be obsessed with him and followed his career for a while. But that petered out like most things do.

BTW: my favorite song is Little Red Corvette. "the place where your horses run free...the jockeys that were there before me" always cracked me up. I also like Raspberry Beret. "and if it was warm, she wouldn't wear much more" is another line that used to crack me up.

Last edited:
I loved him too. His music is so unique. Hi all. I haven't been on lately because I bought a larger home, sold my house, sold my dads in order to move him in with us. He has Parkinson's and lewybody dementia.
I havent made a bar of soap in two months and am having serious withdrawals. He is moved in now so I thought I would make more liquid soap. I was really getting into it.
I grew up in the eighties. Prince's purple rain heyday. His music was just amazing.

I loved him too. His music is so unique. Hi all. I haven't been on lately because I bought a larger home, sold my house, sold my dads in order to move him in with us. He has Parkinson's and lewybody dementia.
I havent made a bar of soap in two months and am having serious withdrawals. He is moved in now so I thought I would make more liquid soap. I was really getting into it.
I grew up in the eighties. Prince's purple rain heyday. His music was just amazing.

How nice to 'see' you Dana. Sorry things are hard with your dad. I'm sure it will be comforting for him to be with you.

I spent the last 3 years with my father, alzheimers and Parkinson.
I cherish each and every day I spent with him and think of him fondly often. You are doing a wonderful thing, he is very lucky to have you.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I just sat down and cried when I heard the news. His music was such a huge part of my life growing up. The world is a colder place without him in it.
I camped out 5 days at our local Turtles record store for tickets for to his Atlanta show on the 'Purple Rain' tour. I was all of 16 at the time....my parents were VERY tolerant, to say the least! But I got front and center 6th row tickets (the first 5 rows were the Purple Circle - only available to people who donated $$$ to charity for the tickets). I sat directly behind Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons from Kiss, who were actually quite pleasant and fun to chat with :) Good memories of a great show from a truly unique artist.

Not only was he prolific in his own right, but he fostered so many other stars...like Sheena Easton and Sheila E. from back in the day, to name a few, and Janelle Monae and Liv Warfield more recently. He was never in your face, and everywhere in the media, like so many stars today, who make you feel like you can't get away from them. He always left you wanting more. I think I was most surprised by the fact that he was alone. At least I'm assuming that, from what was reported in the media. I guess I always thought that someone like Prince would have live in staff, especially in light of the fact that he had been hospitalized last week. Wouldn't you think there would have been someone there to keep an eye on him? I feel so badly that he died alone. He will be missed.

He was never in your face, and everywhere in the media, like so many stars today, who make you feel like you can't get away from them. He always left you wanting more.
I don't think he died alone; there were people there to call 911 - but he was DOA when EMS arrived.
New Orleans has been honoring him at Jazz Fest this weekend with the skywriters' putting his symbol in the sky over NOLA, the Superdome lit up in purple, and Janelle Monae (along with many others) paid tribute to Prince in her Jazz Fest set saying, "I am because he was."
Your signature is perfect when it comes to Prince and his music... "We're all just walking each other home."
He gave us all the gift of himself and I can personally attest to the fact that I felt less alone in this world thanks to him! When I heard the news of his death, I added my prayers to the multitude that he would have a peaceful entry into Heaven.

prince.jpg

We drove by his place yesterday afternoon. We live about 45 minutes from where he lived. We had to go into the Cities anyway and it was on our way. It was pretty impressive how much purple there was. Lots of balloons, flowers, artwork, etc. It was raining out and pretty cold (in the 30's) and there were still quite a few people out there walking around. It's obvious he had a lot of fans. The more I read about him, the more I'm impressed.

I don't think he died alone; there were people there to call 911 - but he was DOA when EMS arrived.
New Orleans has been honoring him at Jazz Fest this weekend with the skywriters' putting his symbol in the sky over NOLA, the Superdome lit up in purple, and Janelle Monae (along with many others) paid tribute to Prince in her Jazz Fest set saying, "I am because he was."
Your signature is perfect when it comes to Prince and his music... "We're all just walking each other home."
He gave us all the gift of himself and I can personally attest to the fact that I felt less alone in this world thanks to him! When I heard the news of his death, I added my prayers to the multitude that he would have a peaceful entry into Heaven.

My son lives in NOLA, and works at House of Blues, so he has been posting all the tributes to Prince on FB.

Back