When do you all "shape" your soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the pampered chef potato peeler; sharp and bevels quick and nice. I like to wait a couple of weeks. If the bar is harder my bevels are smaller than when the soap is still fairly soft.

I wait at least a couple of weeks up to almost fully cured to bevel mine but I have a high liquid oil recipe. I find that I like the soap to have a little resistance when I plane and bevel because then I don't grummy up the planer or peeler too easily and the bevel looks cleaner to me when I do it this way.

I tend to bevel pretty soon after unmolding, mostly because my soap is quite hard and occasionally becomes brittle if I wait too long. I have a beveler, but just like DeeAnna, prefer the potato peeler these days. I used to be pretty bad at it but it does get easier and more uniform with time.
I'm quite intrigued by Irishlass's tool, and am strongly thinking about investing in one, mostly because I also woodwork a bit and it would be cool to have 1 tool for both :)

Back