When dissolving lye into a water/milk mix, can I add the milk after the reaction has taken place with the water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
Let's say a recipe I'm using calls for 50g lye, and 100g liquid (50/50 milk and water).

Because it heats up, I risk scorching the milk. As such, is it worthwhile combining the lye and water, and waiting for it to cool down before adding the milk? Or should I stick with the method of combining all of the lye solution components together at the same time with an ice water bath around the mixing vessel?

Are there any reasons not to do it this way? I've mixed with the ice bath method just a handful of times now and find it a bit tedious with the extra setup/cleanup, etc.

Let's say a recipe I'm using calls for 50g lye, and 100g liquid (50/50 milk and water).

Because it heats up, I risk scorching the milk. As such, is it worthwhile combining the lye and water, and waiting for it to cool down before adding the milk? Or should I stick with the method of combining all of the lye solution components together at the same time with an ice water bath around the mixing vessel?

Are there any reasons not to do it this way? I've mixed with the ice bath method just a handful of times now and find it a bit tedious with the extra setup/cleanup, etc.
The method of 50/50 milk and water is called the split method and works really well and is so easy.
Remember if you need 65g of lye you need 65g of water to dissolve it then use the rest of the recipe water as milk.
Add the milk to the oils NOT the lye mix. This ensures it doesn't get burnt and you get a white soap.

The method of 50/50 milk and water is called the split method and works really well and is so easy.
Remember if you need 65g of lye you need 65g of water to dissolve it then use the rest of the recipe water as milk.
Add the milk to the oils NOT the lye mix. This ensures it doesn't get burnt and you get a white soap.

Oh wowsers!! I had no idea I could add milk to the oils, every recipe just said to mix the solution components together prior to oil. That being said, it does seem like a great way of keeping the milk as cool (white) as possible, is there anything else I need to do? Like do I need to add more milk to prevent lye pocketing? etc,

Oh wowsers!! I had no idea I could add milk to the oils, every recipe just said to mix the solution components together prior to oil. That being said, it does seem like a great way of keeping the milk as cool (white) as possible, is there anything else I need to do? Like do I need to add more milk to prevent lye pocketing? etc,
You would only get lye pocketting if you didn't dissolve the lye and water completely.
You will have to add any additives like salt, sugar etc to the milk component not the water/lye mix because nothing else will dissolve in the water/lye mix.
I wait for the lye solution to return to about 110*F and heat my oils to 110*F as well even with milk soaps to avoid stearic spots. I don't get overheating or anything and the soap stays white.

I like to stick blend the milk or additives dissolved in water into the oils before adding the lye solution. As PJ said, be sure you have at minimum water weight equal to lye weight.

I have a masterbatch of 1:1 lye/water... I add my milk (whatever kind) right from the fridge with no problems.

As do I!
IrishLass :)
ME ME ME!! Ever since I learned of the split method I will soap no other way. I even split method using just water as my liquid since I masterbatch my lye. HA

Also, I split method my beer soaps, and just use my extra liquid as beer. Since doing it this way, I don't even wait for the beer to be flat, just weigh it straight out of the bottle and pour into my oils. No problems at all.
So yeah, I make my milk soaps this way as well. Soo much easier than the way I used to make everything so complicated!! HAHA

I am a brand new member :) It is my first post on this forum!
I am also a new in soapmaking hobby. I plan to make my first soap with goat milk this weekend.
So, first I put goat milk into oils and after put lye mix to oils? Thank you!

I am a brand new member :) It is my first post on this forum!
I am also a new in soapmaking hobby. I plan to make my first soap with goat milk this weekend.
So, first I put goat milk into oils and after put lye mix to oils? Thank you!
Welcome to the board. You can go to the introduction section and let us know a little bit about yourself.

No you need to make a lye solution with at least equal parts water to lye.
Do a search on split method, lye solution, and familiarize yourself with how to make lye solution before jumping in head first! :)

Also, I split method my beer soaps, and just use my extra liquid as beer. Since doing it this way, I don't even wait for the beer to be flat, just weigh it straight out of the bottle and pour into my oils. No problems at all.
I am going to try this, because you know my intense fear of beer volcano! But it would be nice to be able to take the extra step of boiling out the beer from my brewery soaps. I honestly never thought to do it this way even though I do my milk soaps this way.

I am going to try this, because you know my intense fear of beer volcano!
The batter will still get a bit thick sooner than normal, but it's manageable. At least with my recipe. And I can't really tell a difference between this method of using beer and using a full beer.
I just did it on a whim, and it worked. LOL

Latest posts

Back