When a batch Seizes aka Soap on a Stick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
TIP: I've found that the best thing to do when a batch seizes is to set the timer and walk away for 5 minutes. When I come back, the soap is going into gel. Then it's fairly easy to stir it up. Maybe add cold water (IF you discounted the water, you can add the difference between the full water amount (38%) and the amount you used); stir for one full minute to get it thoroughly mixed, then pour.

HTH ;)

TIP: I've found that the best thing to do when a batch seizes is to set the timer and walk away for 5 minutes. When I come back, the soap is going into gel. Then it's fairly easy to stir it up. Maybe add cold water (IF you discounted the water, you can add the difference between the full water amount (38%) and the amount you used); stir for one full minute to get it thoroughly mixed, then pour.

HTH ;)

I'm assuming this is for hot process? My seized cold process wouldn't gel without help.

Yes, I've experienced cp seizing, but the gelling part is what I'm questioning. My CP recipe doesn't gel unless I do something to keep it warm.
Rather than hijacking this thread, if you want your CP to gel it's best to start a new thread -- "My CP recipe doesn't gel". Use the Recipe Feedback Forum and provide a screenshot of your lye calc formula and your process. ;) :thumbs:

Rather than hijacking this thread, if you want your CP to gel it's best to start a new thread -- "My CP recipe doesn't gel". Use the Recipe Feedback Forum and provide a screenshot of your lye calc formula and your process. ;) :thumbs:

I'm not trying to hijack this thread and I know how to make soap gel.

I'm seeking clarification of the original post - does the hint given work on cold process?
I'm asking because I don't recognise the behaviour described in that post from my personal experience with CP, i.e gelling after 5 minutes in the pot.

Perhaps I'm not making myself clear today, my brain is a bit scattered at the moment. Apologies.

Yes, I've experienced cp seizing, but the gelling part is what I'm questioning. My CP recipe doesn't gel unless I do something to keep it warm.

Mine generally doesn't either, but that has to do with my recipe, lye concentration and soaping temperatures. The one time my soap seized, it turned into solid concrete. I have had a few 'plops' that heated up, but nothing beyond normal. I once used the wrong Lye Concentration and thought my batter was going to ignite...tossed that puppy out in the driveway real fast.

When my batch seizes usually from a fragrance oil, so everything is mixed. I glove up and roll out orbs or chisel out stone shapes. I order some fragrances that are known to seize when I want to particularly make orbs and or stones.

Latest posts

Back