What's your next soap experiment?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting ready to try making a transparent soap with sugar and alcohol. From what I've read it's kind of hard on the skin since you can't superfat, but it's fascinating to experiment and I've yet to make the same soap twice.

Cursivearts thanks for the tips, I've been putting this off for awhile and I'm excited to try making it this weekend. I am just leaving the color natural, and I want to try some essential oils. Hope that your batch turns out so that you don't have to rebatch.

Oh Liz, I feel for you! Don't spread yourself too thin!

Ouch. No fun. :( But, I wish you all the luck in the world on your studies!

I think I may attempt charcoal this weekend.

Thanks so much! I'm so nervous and excited at the same time! It was a decision that weighed heavily on me and I finally bit the bullet and applied for grad school!

As soon as I got home from work I went straight to my basement and started mixing my lye water bath! I used purple and green pigments with titanium dioxide for the first time ever. Gelling some of it, and non gelling some of it.

I want to use some coconut water I bought in a soap. Was looking for coconut milk, but didn't find find any that didn't have a bunch of "extra's" in it, so I settled on the 100% coconut water. Also want to make a shampoo bar. haven't made one yet and have been itching to try Lindy's recipe. I made my first soap with tallow this past week and I like it so far. Don't know why I waited so long to use it! I plan on making more tallow based soaps this weekend too. Gotta make a "plan" and pace myself!

OliveOil2, I insulated and had to rematch. It super-heated and there was separation. So don't insulate! I think it would have been fine if I had not insulated.

That said, I went back to the health food store today and picked up at bunch of calendula and lavender buds for like 5 bucks (and some french white clay, to go with my red and green). I am going to try infusing olive oils with them. I think I am going to do the crock pot method though, because I cannot think of a safe windowsill in my house that gets lots of sun, that the cat or baby won't get to. And the cat is one of those "Oh, you wanted this here? Well, I don't!" type cats, so I'm terrified I'd come back to find oils leaking out all over the carpet or hardwood. I also worry that if I did put it in a window that was safe, I would forget about it entirely. Still making salt soap over the weekend though!

My net experiment will be making soap people don't actually use. I will add twice the fragrance and make it more for show than for use. Sometimes people like pretty soaps in their bathrooms just for the fragrance and for looks. I will be using glitter for the first time. Up to now I opined that nobody wants glitter sticking to their body after bathing.

Chicken fat soap. I have heard it makes a wonderful bar. I have from some old hens I cooked up and strained the fat off the broth. So now to make some soap out of it. I am wondering if I should put an egg in it and if so, what would I call it? And what scent would I put in chicken soap? Gotta think of something.

I have a whole day that I get to play! Only have 1 task that I have to do (dog to the groomer) and the rest of the day I get to soap. I have so many ingredients (honey, powdered gm, almond milk, red palm) and colors (spices, pigments, powdered cocoa) that I want to experiment with and I get a whole day to do it. I've been making a list of the things I want to try so the hardest part is going to be deciding what to check off of my LONG list. Yeah, can't wait!!!

Chicken fat soap. I have heard it makes a wonderful bar. I have from some old hens I cooked up and strained the fat off the broth. So now to make some soap out of it. I am wondering if I should put an egg in it and if so, what would I call it? And what scent would I put in chicken soap? Gotta think of something.

"eggsellent!"

I'm getting ready to try making a transparent soap with sugar and alcohol. From what I've read it's kind of hard on the skin since you can't superfat, but it's fascinating to experiment and I've yet to make the same soap twice.

Theda, be sure to let us know how this goes!! I had directions for doing this but never used them. May I live vicariously through you?

curslvearts, sorry to hear that you had to rebatch. I made my batch this afternoon, and I was such a chicken, I soaped really cool, and used half aloe vera juice and half distilled water for the lye, only using half the amount of liquid, and then stirred in the remaining liquid (beer) in after the essential oils. The beer was slushy but not totally frozen. Anyway it really didn't heat up much and there wasn't any bad smell.

Oh my! I think we need to talk. I have some old lady hens that need to go to.........what some people call freezer camp. I've never sent any of my hens there before :(

So its not so much a next experiment, but today i tried to make some orange essential oil for kicks and failed horribly. So i wound up pretty much pureeing the orange rinds and then bam i wanted to put it in soap lol. So i did and made some of the batter black. Its incubating right now so we ahall see the results tomorrow.

Today I made salt bars. At this very moment I have lavender buds infusing in olive oil the crockpot. I am thinking I use the oil to make castile soap.

I have some very fragrant Turkish coffee from 1999 that has been in my freezer, vacuum sealed and will never get used. It's finer than espresso and I'm wondering if some of the scent will survive. We shall see.

I have some very fragrant Turkish coffee from 1999 that has been in my freezer, vacuum sealed and will never get used. It's finer than espresso and I'm wondering if some of the scent will survive. We shall see.

Are you going to leave the soap unscented except for the Turkish coffee? I've never smelled that kind. I made a coffee/cocoa soap that I left unscented. It does have a faint scent from the coffee grounds that I mixed in. But it was just regular coffee and the scent is FAINT (like stick your nose on the bar :p)

I just made a sugar soap with three layers each layer with a different sugar, honey and maple syrup and molasses. It came out to be a beautiful carmel color on top can't wait to see how it looks cut.

"eggsellent!"

Hey I like this, thanks. I didn't put the old hens in the freezer, they were given to me in that condition. As a kid we used to do that, I think if we ever do get chickens it will fall on DH to "do the deed" I don't think I can do that anymore. Softy now. I didn't get to the soap today, have to finish a baby quilt for the newest g-baby, but that will be wrapped up early tomorrow.

Back