What's your favorite soapmaking video on Youtube?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I am still doing lots of research and reading through these forums before I attempt my first batch of soap. I plan on getting all my supplies for Christmas this year, but in the meantime I figured I could watch some youtube videos as *research*:-D So, what's your favorite video or maker of soaping videos?

Soaping 101 is an excellent place to watch and learn. So many youtube video aren't actually learning videos as much as just folks doing their thing. However, you can learn from them. Just be sure once you start to run all recipes through soap calc. Errors can be made in print. Also, don't get carried away with specialty oils and stuff. You can make a great soap with just a few ingredients.

Reading this forum you will gain so much information. When I first found SMF I read every post I could. I started at the beginning and went from there. I researched for about 6 months or more before I made my first batch.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. Folks here will be more than willing to help out.

I love to watch anything by Ariane Arsenault. I especially love it when she's making huge batches, and she's wrangling a monster pot and mold all by herself. She hasn't posted any new ones recently.....she was pregnant, so she's either had the baby, or is just not up to it at this time. She has a tiny soap shop in the Magdalene Islands, Canada. I'd love to get up there some day! She's just delightful to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMsQ78CkU5UtkA73jGcom3A/videos

Reading this forum you will gain so much information. When I first found SMF I read every post I could. I started at the beginning and went from there. I researched for about 6 months or more before I made my first batch.

I did that too, I went to the last page on the Beginner Forum and started from there.

I love to watch Ariane Arsenault, too. :thumbup:

Soaping101 has some wonderful teaching videos as well as very lovely and creative design ideas, etc.

Also, there's a YouTube channel called SMFSoapChallenges where informative videos of our official forum soap challenges are uploaded by some of our very talented members: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bN3rFKI_AyHN1ses6bpfQ

As Shari alluded to, though, you can't beat reading through the forum to get a more thorough soap-making education. That's how many of us got started. I myself did nothing but read and research through the archives of several different forums for about a whole year before I gained enough confidence to give it a go (SMF was not even around back then). There weren't many soap-making videos around back then either, ....at least none that I was aware of..... but I'm sure they would have been a great supplement to my reading, for sure.

I did that too, I went to the last page on the Beginner Forum and started from there.

I encourage you to read through the Lye-based forum, too. Lots of great info there.:thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
I encourage you to read through the Lye-based forum, too. Lots of great info there.:thumbup:

That will be the next one that I go to the last page and start reading!

I feel like I can do this, and I also feel like this forum has such wonderful people to help if I come across problems, so I can't wait to get my supplies and get started.

I love to watch anything by Ariane Arsenault. I especially love it when she's making huge batches, and she's wrangling a monster pot and mold all by herself. She hasn't posted any new ones recently.....she was pregnant, so she's either had the baby, or is just not up to it at this time. She has a tiny soap shop in the Magdalene Islands, Canada. I'd love to get up there some day! She's just delightful to watch.

I love watching Ariane, too. I actually have very little patience with soapmaking videos. When I was starting out, I just wanted to see examples of soap coming to trace and what to expect when adding lye to water, so I would skip to those parts. Now, I typically skip to the swirling. But I can sit and devour all 10-15 minutes of an Ariane Arsenault video and then watch like five more.

Love her videos as well!

And Soaping101, of course.

I also love Vibrant Soap's videos too. He talks a little too much, but I love that he has an artist background and paints out his colors on paper before he commits to making his soap. He has a very good understanding of color theory.

I'm partial to videos with just music mostly (and a bit of text), no talking or explanations. Maybe because I'm mostly a visual person and can understand things easier that way. If it's a super complicated process or something I've never seen before, then I don't mind a voice over or an explanation as much.

Aside from the ones mentioned, I like to get tips and inspiration from watching:

Spicy Pinecone
Devinely Designed
Royalty Soaps
Missouri River Soap
Stargazer Soaps
Soaperstar

They are chatty, but not in a kid-whining-in-the-background-way (shudder - I can normally ignore it in person, but the combination of stick blender + wheedling drives me bonkers). I get happy whenever I see they have new videos out. They aren't producing tutorials though. For that, I'd head to Soaping101.

They are chatty, but not in a kid-whining-in-the-background-way (shudder - I can normally ignore it in person, but the combination of stick blender + wheedling drives me bonkers).

I couldn't agree more, nothing will make me shut down a video faster than as you kindly put it, "wheedling" children. I'm rather appalled that they're allowed in the same room! :thumbdown: How does one even rationalize that as ok? When I soap, I don't even let my husband and 21 year old in the kitchen. Ok, enough ranting.

I enjoy, in addition to those previously mentioned...

Eve's Garden Soaps
Dean Wilson is a newcomer, but has some great ideas for M&P
Elaine Wright has some amazing soaps and is pretty prolific as well which is always nice.

They're more process than tutorial, but you always learn something from them.

Oh gosh, I have spent literally hours on youtube chasing one video after another after simply typing in "making, soap, cold process" in different orders lol. I binge watched Soaping 101 one night haha. Love Soap Queen and Royalty Soaps. Just recently stumbled upon Kevin Devine. Some of his videos are kind of long, but his soap making is really enjoyable to watch and he explains his recipes in detail! There's so much out there...it does a number on my productivity!

I can't add any to the list of any mentioned but I will second (or is it third or forth?) that I can not stand the particular videos with the kids in them. I cant believe she lets them run around like that while making soap and laughs it off as something so small. Some major damage could happen with the amounts she makes if one of them kids knocked the lye water or one of the batches on themselves. I wont even go into the selling everything aspect there....

but yeah I absolutely love Ariane's and Clyde's videos. I can watch them for hours. And I do. hehehehehe

I love watching her too. She did have her little one. I believe it was a little boy. I saw it on facebook.

Katie at Royalty Soaps is another one I like to watch.

I love all of Handmade in Florida's videos. I can watch them over and over. I like that they're nice and brief, I don't have the attention span for lots of talking and mixing. I wish she would post more often!

All my regular channels have been mentioned, so consider this a "second" for Soap101, SoapQueenTV, Vibrant and Ariane.

Other than that I haven't found anyone whose channel I wanted to add specifically, just individual videos that I've found here and there when looking at specific things.

I forgot to mention Kevin Devine's videos. He 's got a lot of great tutorials, one of which gave me the courage to make my own silicone embed mold out of the sea shells I had collected over the years (which came out great, btw).

I also wanted to 'second' Eve's Garden Soap. I love her swirling technique.

I've enjoyed almost every single one mentioned but I love, love Ariane's videos. I also think that aside of reading on SMF, soaping101 videos are most useful for a beginner.

Back