Whats wrong with this picture?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421673996.550058.jpg

Pls share your thoughts :)

I have some that looks just like that.....will be watching. I'm thinking not enough dilution? I haven't had a chance to play with it. I made mine about 2 months ago and it's sitting on the shelf. I've since done the glycerin method it has worked like a gem.

I'm going to have to ask for your recipe including everything in weights. Please include scents and all other additions, as well as percent of superfat. I also need your process. I hate to ask, but this is the only way I can begin to troubleshoot.

However, if you want an off the cuff answer that may or may not be correct, too much fat. Whether too high superfat, too many unsaponifiables in the oils, or certain EO/FOs, that appears to be a layer of oil on top of the soap. Now, to answer with what exactly it is, I need details.

Last edited:
The picture belongs to a student of mine who purchased a castile base from quite a big seller in here.

On the guide it says, dilute with distilled water 1:3. It came out runny, white/milky stuff on top, and pretty milky altogether. The paste zaps! Looks like it hasnt finished cooking.

Just a lil fyi of how crazy the soap market in here. Lots of irresponsible sellers flooding the market.

It is irresponsible in the extreme to give away soap that has not been properly tested, much less sell it. Every batch I make gets zap tested by me, as well as quality tested, before it goes out for family to use.

It may be that the seller is still using the lye heavy methods taught in the past, added to oils high in unsaponifiables with EOs that cause separation...my mind boggles past that point. I don't know where to even begin telling them what to do to "fix" it because I have no idea what is in there or how they arrived at that state. Sorry.

If I were the person that bought the soap, I would promptly contact the seller with this picture and the fact that it zaps. Give them a chance to make it right.

Last edited:
the paste is unscented. the instruction guide only mention 1 ingredient: saponified evoo (organic). dilute with 1:3 water, thats it.

oh, the person who bought it has contacted the seller. she only said to follow directions given on the instruction paper. no explanation, no nothing about how the end product looked to be.

Last edited:
I would explain to your student that this is a perfect example of a lye heavy soap paste that should not be used. A bad recipe with bad technique and to never purchase from that seller again.

Nothing more you can do really. I suppose if she wanted to try to save her investment she could cook the paste and try adding very small amounts of oil to it, and see if she can cook it to zap free. Then try diluting it with water and maybe try adding a bit of polysorbate 80.

I doubt it would work but it sounds like she has nothing to lose by trying.

oh yeah, i have explained to her about the above. i didn't bother about try to saving the product since it wasn't mine anyway. i was more concerned that there is a seller out there who can be so careless.

Wow, that's pretty bold to be selling something that's lye heavy. Hope she has good insurance for when someone gets burned. I wouldn't dream of selling anything with out testing it. I've zap tested mine and it's not zappy, I think I just need to dilute mine a bit more. Just haven't had time to play with it.

it's been 3 days, my student said the soap is still milky, no improvement, no nothing. i told her to just forget about it. better to lose a few bucks than be sorry..

nah, she just started basic cp and is not ready yet for ls (she told me herself). i ended up selling her my paste. i don't normally sell in paste form, but she sounded so frustrated i just can't help it.

i did give her a short lecture about zap testing, etc (which i already did when she first come to me for basic cp class). thought i reminded her again.

Well, at least you made sure she has safe paste to dilute until she gets advanced enough to learn how to make it herself. Good enough. Are you going to teach her HP or CP liquid soap?

yep, at least i made sure the paste i sold to her was properly made, with proper testing (ph, zap, dilution tests) done prior to selling. she came to me for a basic cp class a few months back. she hasn't showed any interest in making her own paste, still overwhelmed by making cp soaps at the moment.

Why isn't she contacting the seller for a refund? No point in losing money. Also, the seller should know that he/she has a problem with their process or formulation.

Okay, so this question is still rumbling around in my pointy little head -- why would a lye-heavy paste produce a milky, separated soap after dilution?
Was more cook time needed? Or am I missing an important point?
Sounds like a teachable moment here, at least for me -- Susie? Irish Lass?

"...is this paste used to make liquid soap?..."

Yes, you're right about that.
This question is in the cream and liquid soap forum, FWIW.

Why isn't she contacting the seller for a refund? No point in losing money. Also, the seller should know that he/she has a problem with their process or formulation.
I was curious if someone contacted the seller if just for a warning. They could at least stop selling that batch.

Back