What's Tooth Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I wouldn't do tooth soap again. I do enjoy making my own tooth powder/toothpaste but tooth soap, I just can't do it. Tried and tried but it gags me every time.

First off - thank you Kim for getting me interested in Tooth Soap.

I have carried on with experimenting and making tooth soap which has turned into a good seller for me both in wholesale as well as my retail business. I have found that by keeping it 100% natural (ok lye isn't natural), using Honey and Spearmint EO for flavouring, and using oils like OO & Cocoa Butter the flavour is not bad. Even my 12 year old niece is using it. For me the biggest hurdle in formulating this was getting a flavour that didn't make you run gagging. Olive Oil on its own with Spearmint EO wasn't too bad but by adding in CB and the honey it really is pretty good. I've been brushing with soap since March now and the other day I decided I wanted to see what my teeth would feel like using my old Sensodyne. Can you say OW!!! The toothpaste literall burned my mouth and gums, the taste was horrible and my teeth felt slimy!!!

I am going to do a secondary line using baking soda now, but really once you come up with a forumlation that tastes okay you're off to the races....

I make mouthwash and we love it.
I use vodka, strong mint tea, a few drops of propolis tincture and a couple of drops of Peppermint and Grapefruit ess oils (2 drops go a loooong way!!!)
It works wonders along with our handmade toothpaste :)

This sounds great, I am going to have to give this a try too. My husband has tooth stains and he doesnt want to go the route of tooth whiteners. After using the soap in my laundry and seeing that it better than bleach...I think it is well worth the try with teeth if he will. lol

Off topic: Stephen Barrett, M.D is a quack by his own definition. lol

http://www.raysahelian.com/quackwatch.html

My dad used a natural tooth soap when I was little. I think it was "Toms?" or something similar. The taste was certainly..... different from my Crest!!

I'm intrigued though. Maybe if I see some at a craft show, I'll try it.

oops-edited to say "tooth" soap :)

I think the key to tooth soap is that it is aged over a year. That takes alot of the soap taste out. Remember the bar i am using has CO at 30% and I am getting no soap taste. This is over a year old bar too with no EO or FO in it just salt. Ofcourse doing the prerinse with Plax i am sure helps some with flavor. :eek:

A properly formulated tooth soap is ready in the same amount of time as any other CP. This is continuing to grow for me and the market is expanding throughout western canada. I just had a health food store order enough for all 7 of their stores and then an organic gorcery store has ordered it as well. The big thing to remember is there are oils that will give you a "soapy" taste (CO, PO, Castor, PKO to name a few). If you go with oils that don't give that flavour then you're on the right track. I've been brushing with nothing but tooth soap since march and I can say I wouldn't go back.

i had to give this a try again and i am in love!! what i did was take a bar of soap i made last winter and grate it up, then chop it up more. i put it in a little jar with a couple teaspoons of baking soda then i filled the rest up with water and added 30 drops of peppermint EO and TTO. i stirred then let it sit until it got to that solid-ish stage. i stirred it again with my tooth brush then tapped the excess off.

when i brushed my teeth felt amazing, the taste was not horrible or soapy. i had less "foam" than with regular tooth paste too. even rinsing out my mouth wasnt gross and i hate the way tooth soap feels on my tongue. i will never use regular tooth paste again if i can help it.

after a week of using it, my teeth are whiter and my mouth feels so much cleaner.

krissy said:
i had to give this a try again and i am in love!! what i did was take a bar of soap i made last winter and grate it up, then chop it up more. i put it in a little jar with a couple teaspoons of baking soda then i filled the rest up with water and added 30 drops of peppermint EO and TTO. i stirred then let it sit until it got to that solid-ish stage. i stirred it again with my tooth brush then tapped the excess off.

when i brushed my teeth felt amazing, the taste was not horrible or soapy. i had less "foam" than with regular tooth paste too. even rinsing out my mouth wasnt gross and i hate the way tooth soap feels on my tongue. i will never use regular tooth paste again if i can help it.

after a week of using it, my teeth are whiter and my mouth feels so much cleaner.

here here....i agree 100%....except for the part where you said you didn't like the way the soap made your tounge feel....my tounge loves it, so I'm assuming you 'missed typed'....

i made my tooth soap with (if I can remember correctly) about 80% olive, 15% cocoa butter and 5% castor....can't remember why i put the castor in there, but i did. there's pics on here somewhere...from way back.

ETA: I also grate mine up with the baking soda, peppermint EO, and ORANGE EO.....yummy!

Back