What's this...what's this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
No, not snow. Something much better! My friend from Ghana visited last night with his two daughters and look what they brought their "auntie." Can you guess what it is? A beautiful, big hunk of African black soap! I'm a lucky girl. :D

whats this.jpg

whats this1.jpg

Wow, that's very cool! How big is that?? It looks lavishly, indulgently large!

I've never tried it, but ABS was the impetus for finally making my own soap. I had been vaguely toying with the idea for quite awhile until I saw a bar of genuine ABS at a friend's house. I naively thought it was "normal" handmade soap, and when I learned it wasn't, it was TOO LATE - my world had already changed. Clearly there was more to the craft than met the eye, and I just had to see for myself. I bought a book and dove right in. Now my focus on soap is always forward, because of ABS. Who knows how much longer apathy or fear would have dominated me without rich, intriguing, African black soap.

Ok, that may sound dramatic but it is true. So enjoy your African soap for how special it is, navigator, and your thoughtful friends. :)

Wow, that's very cool! How big is that?? It looks lavishly, indulgently large!

I've never tried it, but ABS was the impetus for finally making my own soap. I had been vaguely toying with the idea for quite awhile until I saw a bar of genuine ABS at a friend's house. I naively thought it was "normal" handmade soap, and when I learned it wasn't, it was TOO LATE - my world had already changed. Clearly there was more to the craft than met the eye, and I just had to see for myself. I bought a book and dove right in. Now my focus on soap is always forward, because of ABS. Who knows how much longer apathy or fear would have dominated me without rich, intriguing, African black soap.

Ok, that may sound dramatic but it is true. So enjoy your African soap for how special it is, navigator, and your thoughtful friends. :)

Yes, it is indulgently large! It's about 8 inches across and 6 high, with the thumb print of the maker in the center. I love how rustic it is. And I absolutely understand your reaction and don't find it dramatic at all. I think we've all gotten so accustomed to lifeless products that are cranked out in factories, that when we see something created by the hands of an actual person and not a machine, with intention and care, it can affect us that way. Beautifully handcrafted items have soul, in a way that lifeless mass produced items can never have. Does that sound dramatic? I don't think so. And it's wonderful, in a case like yours, when it inspires you to want to do the same. :grin: I love your story!

And yes, I'm very fortunate to have such thoughtful and generous friends!

Hopefully you got a good chunk, some of it can be very nice, some not so nice. I have had both, but still tend to like my own much better.

My understanding is that the soap varies from village to village, each having their own recipe, so it would make sense that the quality would vary. The one my friend's daughters chose for me is lovely.

Yes, it is indulgently large! It's about 8 inches across and 6 high, with the thumb print of the maker in the center. I love how rustic it is. And I absolutely understand your reaction and don't find it dramatic at all. I think we've all gotten so accustomed to lifeless products that are cranked out in factories, that when we see something created by the hands of an actual person and not a machine, with intention and care, it can affect us that way. Beautifully handcrafted items have soul, in a way that lifeless mass produced items can never have. Does that sound dramatic? I don't think so. And it's wonderful, in a case like yours, when it inspires you to want to do the same. :grin: I love your story!.
I don't think it sounds dramatic at all, I feel the same way :)

Forgive my ignorance please, but what is in ABS that is different from any CP or HP recipe that we can make at home?

It is very different from what we make at home. Here is a little info http://www.coastalscents.com/as-011.html

Each village has a different recipe and some are high in coconut or palm kernel oil while others are high in shea.

Well it seems very special, perfect for a big company to cheapen it.:roll:

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/products/melt-pour-soap-bases/african-black-mp-soap-base.html?utm_source=Nov+27+Newsletter+2015&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Nov+27+Newsletter+2015

I hope people who buy this don't expect anything close to what is in that beautiful bag Navigator has. This makes me a little disappointed in NDA, I love their products and prices.
Imagine the women in Ghana that make ABS seeing this. Tis, the way of the world.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back