What's this texture on the top of this batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is interesting. It doesn’t happen often, and I don’t know if there is something in particular that makes this happen. I didn’t find spraying to be all that beneficial, so I usually don’t bother.

I asked because I have occasionally had a weird texture on top of my soaps after spraying. I don't spray my soaps any more.

Here's a thread where I posted a picture: Alien Brain?

I'm wondering if that happened because you sprayed too close or if your soap batter was really fluid. I just started spraying my soaps...most are at a medium trace, I spray from about 8" away, and I usually spray after I have tidied up the mold. I then spray again after about an hour. I then read that you shouldn't spray for a least an hour to give the top time to firm up a bit.

I don't know...it's been working for me and if the tops aren't perfect, then I just use my planer.

I'm wondering if that happened because you sprayed too close or if your soap batter was really fluid. I just started spraying my soaps...most are at a medium trace, I spray from about 8" away, and I usually spray after I have tidied up the mold. I then spray again after about an hour. I then read that you shouldn't spray for a least an hour to give the top time to firm up a bit.

I don't know...it's been working for me and if the tops aren't perfect, then I just use my planer.
It's likely my soap was still very fluid, although it's been quite awhile since I made those soaps and I honestly don't remember much about it, but I'm sure I didn't spray too close. Spraying my tops didn't often give me the weird top texture. I think it has happened less than 5 times out of all of the soap batches I've made. I know a lot of people find that spraying helps with ash.

I only asked if the soap had been sprayed, because OP was wondering what could have caused the odd texture on the top of the loaf and it didn't look strictly like ash to me. It's just a possibility that spraying with alcohol could have caused it. Since it doesn't happen often, not many people have ever experienced it and I thought it could possibly be an explanation that others didn't consider.

@linne1gi my recipe does have a lot of water, but I don't think it overheated as I soaped at room temperature and am keeping the mold in a pretty cool place at all times (I could be wrong though!). I tested a bar out today while washing my hands and the texture disappeared after getting wet so I think it might have been ash after all!

@linne1gi my recipe does have a lot of water, but I don't think it overheated as I soaped at room temperature and am keeping the mold in a pretty cool place at all times (I could be wrong though!). I tested a bar out today while washing my hands and the texture disappeared after getting wet so I think it might have been ash after all!
You can reduce ash by lowering your water as well.

Back