What's this cream-like goo through the middle of the loaf?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopyloop

Reaction score
Hi...made some goats milk and honey soap yesterday, straight in the freezer, then fridge over night. Cut it today, to find this soft substance in the middle through the length off the loaf. What is it? Gel?
The soap otherwise is fine... Will it harden, do I scoop it out? ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437067424.584474.jpg

Its not gel, I've seen it before but never in the quantity. I don't know for sure but I always figured it was unsaponified oils that separated out due to over heating.
If the soap doesn't zap, I would probably just remove the goo.

You have to use your tongue for a zap test, touching it with your fingers isn't enough. It might be best if you go ahead and rebatch it. Whatever the goo is, your soap would be better if its mixed back in.

Is it soluble with water? Glycerin is soluble with water but oils are not. I've never seen that before though. Glycerin is usually clear and colorless or brownish.

You cant zap test w/ bare fingers. you'd have to put your tounge to it. If you dont want to "taste it" (and I don't blame you if you don't) you may want to try pH paper. Try that and see if it comes out very basic. If it is, you may have active lye in it. But, if it comes out neutral it may be glycerin, excess oil or even milk protein since its made with milk.

ETA: Looks like obsidian and I posted at the same time! I also agree with obsidian, I would just re-batch it. I wouldnt use it like that anyway...

Last edited:
Make them stained glass and fill with clear M&P. :)

As for what it is.. I have no input other than what's been said. sorry.

I don't know what it is either, but it looks exactly like pocks of unsaponified batter (ie, not lye or oil pockets). Weird, I don't know why that would happen. I would rebatch too, just b/c it seems like it sort of an unprecedented kind of thing. Yay, you, I would like to have an unprecedented SNAFU, mine are all boring and predictable :)

The only time I've seen something like that was when I cut pure coconut oil soap when it was still warm inside. It was soap and it did harden up. If that soap goo isn't warm, it couldn't have been the same.

It almost reminds me of soap brains or zombie soap but I've never seen it with goo before. I've had large leaking voids but they zap like hell.

I am curious as to whether you had lard in your recipe? I actually have had this happen more than once when soaping a bit hotter than usual then have the batch overheat. The only common factor I had in the 3 batches this has happened in had lard in common and overheated. I always though it was unsaponified lard, but not sure. I rebatches them since I would not know the qualities of the remaining soap.

Back