What's the worst that can happen?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NittyGritty

Reaction score
I'm wondering, from people who have experience either way, how you would answer this question:

"The true, no drama, worst case scenario if I don't melt and stir my entire batch of palm oil each time I use it is ______________________________."

i dont use palm but i would thin it would be lye heavy soap.

*think

dogs-and-cats-living-together.png

I couldn't help myself...

My assumption would be that the fats have separated so your SAP values will be off.

You could run into some of your soap being softer and some brittle due to the stearic . I purchase the hydrogenated palm from Soaper's Choice so I don't have to melt it. I was sick and tired of melting it and putting it in smaller containers. I purchase the 50 lb cube and it's a time saver.

I purchase the hydrogenated palm from Soaper's Choice so I don't have to melt it.

Aside from the no-stir element, can you tell me a bit about the differences between the homogenized palm oil and the "normal" palm oil I've been buying from SC? And why do they say this: "We will not refund, or credit, customers for any damaged, or melted product resulting from warm / hot weather", and should it make me nervous...

Worst case scenario is that emulsion won't happen and you'll have large lye pockets or 1/4 soap & 3/4 lye and oils.

Although it's entirely possible that the heat generated from both the lye mixing with the water and the sap process can melt the oils and you'll just have small lye pockets because you haven't achieved emulsion.

Either case, you obviously don't want to do it.

Worst case scenario is that emulsion won't happen and you'll have large lye pockets or 1/4 soap & 3/4 lye and oils.

Although it's entirely possible that the heat generated from both the lye mixing with the water and the sap process can melt the oils and you'll just have small lye pockets because you haven't achieved emulsion.

Either case, you obviously don't want to do it.

I think they are talking about how palm oil in a container often is not uniform all the way through, so when you spoon out x grams to use, you're not actually getting a full mix of palm. It's down to how palm solidifies, different parts of it solidify faster than others.

So people melt it and then take what they need for the batch, then do the same again next time. Other people melt it and put it in to smaller containers to use at a later date

I purchase my palm in 5 gallon buckets. During the summer is sometimes melts sometimes not. I do not even try to melt the entire bucket of palm. If it does happen to melt completely I try to remember to stir it periodically when it is re-solidifying. The worst I have ever had happen in 5 yrs of buying my palm this way is I get stearic specks at times. I just try to scoop from different areas of the bucket. My palm is Not the no stir palm for SC

Aside from the no-stir element, can you tell me a bit about the differences between the homogenized palm oil and the "normal" palm oil I've been buying from SC? And why do they say this: "We will not refund, or credit, customers for any damaged, or melted product resulting from warm / hot weather", and should it make me nervous...

First you don't have to melt it all down you can use it as soon as you get it. Their no refund is becasue if it's too hot it will melt. I generally order it when it's cooler weather. Especially since you don't know how long it's left in the delivery truck. I'm on my 4th 50 lb block and have never had a problem with it. It comes in a heavy duty plastic bag inside one or two boxes. My last one came double boxed. It's just so much easier.

If homogenized palm oil melts, you essentially have non-homogenized palm oil and have to melt/stir for use like you would their regular palm oil products, right?

Only if it gets really hot and melts then yes you would have to treat it like regualar palm oil. Or just stir it regularly until it's solidified. During the summer I don't have it delivered. I do it in the spring or fall and winter. It doesn't melt in my house. I remains a block and I just fill a medium size bucket so I don't have to keep opening the box and bag. Refill as needed.

Last edited:
In my early soaps, I didn't know about melting and mixing the palm oil and I used it in many batches... I still have the soaps and they're totally fine.

If you are using the same amount of palm each time you make soap, the easiest method might be to melt and stir once, then divide it into individual recipe-sized-portions. This way you have the hassle once, not every time you make soap.

*** idea courtesy of Scientific Soap Making book

OK, final question*! True or False: If a container of melted palm oil is properly stirred as it solidifies, it does NOT need to be stirred ever again, for the rest of it's life, as long as it doesn't partially or fully melt.

(*probably not...sorry!)

Latest posts

Back