What's the worse thing that can happen if I scorched my goat milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TheGecko I liked everything they said until the last line: “Goat milk is better for your skin …”

They really should have said, “may be better” or even: “is better for many people’s skin..”

But their actual statement does just what they are condemning: makes a broad statement that isn’t universally true or correct. Too bad.
It's a GMS company...so of course they are going to say that GMS better but I kind of have to disagree that it's a 'do as I say, not as I do' statement since the article was about the pH of GMS.

Oh, I definitely liked everything they wrote except that one statement. Based on that article, I'd probably rate them higher than 90% of the artisan soap makers out there as far as accurate claims go (with most of SMF making up the rest of the high-ranking 10%).

Hmm. So far it sounds like... in the immortal words of Public Enemy... Don't believe the hype. I've been reading about how it's deeply hydrating, rich in nutrients, high milk fat etc.

Is it fair to say that you can probably get that through oils and butters?

Is there something that milks, in this case goat milk, provides that you can't get with oils and butters?
Calcium maybe? (joking)

Milks contain various acids, which create a skin-softening effect. That’s why Cleopatra took milk baths. Whether those acids survive saponification is unknown. I do know that my high-lard GMS is the only soap I’ve ever been able to use on my face without immediate peeling of the skin and horrible dryness.

So for me, something in the GMS works, something that isn’t present in plain lard soap, plain Castile or Bastile, or high-butter soaps (all of which are a hard no-go for my face-washing process).

Last edited:
You're welcome!! I believe I read where you mentioned that you have used GM powder. How much do you use? Is it certain % PPO?
Yes, I mostly use the powder. It’s one of the few ingredients I don’t measure by percentage of oils. Someday I’ll convert it and do it that way, but for now it’s usually 2T PPO that I stickblend right into the oils.

In the past, my most common liquid was white vinegar. It makes the soap harden more quickly, so one can unmold faster.

These days, I'm typically using master-batched lye solution with distilled water and tussah silk. My additional liquid is regular distilled water that I also use to dissolve sodium citrate and sorbitol.

I'd still be using the vinegar but as I mentioned in another post recently, the SMF calculator doesn't work correctly if you are using both vinegar and MB lye solution in the same batch. That means I'd have to do some extra math if I wanted to use vinegar as my additional liquid with my MB lye solution.

I am very good with math concepts but tend to make mistakes when doing the actual figuring... so I stick with distilled water for my additional liquid these days. You could choose to rehydrate the GMP in that additional water, along with the sorbitol, sodium citrate, or other additives that need dissolving or hydration. I find it easier to blend the GMP right into the oils, myself, but the way that works best for you is what you should do. :)

I’ll chime in here for fun. Word of caution, newer soaper here…. (wonder when I have to not say that lol) 😂
I only make GMS. I reconstitute my GM powder in Aloe Vera juice (and used to be the same with distilled water) and freeze that into cubes.
I’ve been lowering my fridge time, and am trying to work up the courage to not refrigerate it since it’s cooler than 70 degrees here (@TheGecko, believe you said something like that), but my last batch yesterday when in the fridge for 4 hours. I imagine gelling would make the goat milk funky - and not fun funky - like stinky funky. 🌸

My OMH soap with goats milk behaves pretty well. I make my standard lard bar recipe with full gm water replacement. I dont freeze the milk, i just add the lye in micro amounts and pop in the freezer between additions to cool down. It takes a while. I split it up into maybe 5 steps with adding the lye. I add the honey to my oils. After that I feel like it behaves like any other batch I make with just distilled water, except the smell in the lye solution, which goes away.

I like doing it this way better than freezing the gm because it cuts out a prep step, and gives me more time to do other things like measure and melt oils. I feel like I have more control of the temp.

I dont cpop like I do for my other batches, but it gels on its own. As a matter of fact, i poured my last OMH pretty thin and waited for it to set up to texture the top. When i dipped the spoon in the top, i could see that it was already gelling. Well theres that lol. So i just loosely covered it and wrapped in a towel. Popped it in the cold oven to get it out of the way.

edit: and GO EAGLES!!! 🦅🦅🦅 (I have added this to almost everything I have texted or posted on FB)

Last edited:
My OMH soap with goats milk behaves pretty well. I make my standard lard bar recipe with full gm water replacement. I dont freeze the milk, i just add the lye in micro amounts and pop in the freezer between additions to cool down. It takes a while. I split it up into maybe 5 steps with adding the lye. I add the honey to my oils. After that I feel like it behaves like any other batch I make with just distilled water, except the smell in the lye solution, which goes away.

I like doing it this way better than freezing the gm because it cuts out a prep step, and gives me more time to do other things like measure and melt oils. I feel like I have more control of the temp.

I dont cpop like I do for my other batches, but it gels on its own. As a matter of fact, i poured my last OMH pretty thin and waited for it to set up to texture the top. When i dipped the spoon in the top, i could see that it was already gelling. Well theres that lol. So i just loosely covered it and wrapped in a towel. Popped it in the cold oven to get it out of the way.

edit: and GO EAGLES!!! 🦅🦅🦅 (I have added this to almost everything I have texted or posted on FB)
I liked everything you said, up to the Dirty Bird comment, @Catscankim - LOL (obvi a ‘9er girl here) 🌸

Hi @GracieRose Did you happen to cut it yet? Wondering how much of a difference the fridge did to gel / not gel / overheat.
I did cut it and it did not gel nor overheat.

Attachments

• 20230113_162928.jpg
    20230113_162928.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230111_134846.jpg
    20230111_134846.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back