What's the difference between these neem oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
Title correction: 'NEEM oil', not 'need oil' LOL

When I was ordering much needed oils so I can get back to soaping (btw who knew Wal-Mart had free delivery??), I decided to splurge on an exotic oil. I chose neem oil because my research told me how beneficial it can be for skin, especially problem skin.

But I'm very confused by the references to neem oil that I've seen. Some refer to it as if it were a normal oil, like avocado. Others refer to it like an essential oil. I bought the 16oz bottle of Coastal Scents neem oil, but if seen these ridiculously small bottles with eye dropper, selling for the same price I paid for my 16oz bottle.

Is there a difference? Is there an actual EO neem oil, or is it just the same thing but the charlatans are at it again?

TY vm for the help :)

Last edited:
It's a regular oil that needs to included as part of your recipe. It is very, umm, fragrant though.

Those charlatans are always up to it...

Btw, can it be used OOB? As in put a teaspoon in bath water? I plan on doing a patch test to ensure I'm not sensitive, and once I determine that, I wouldn't mind trying it as part if a soak. I can deal with the smelliness or counter it with something that smells nice, but want to know if it can be used that way.

Neem oil is used as an organic insect repellent / pesticide. Many people find the smell - unpleasant. There are different reports about the smell lasting thru saponifacation...

But it has been known to be dangerous for pregnant women. Tho that is from a wiki article, so needs more research. Still I would be careful about who uses it.

Just wanted to say if anyone knows of a fragrance that will cover the smell of neem please let me know! I've tried everything I can think of, even clove and tea tree, nothing covers the stench, and yes, I'm sorry, it is a stench.

Oh and I would not put neem in any water I would bathe in, not even if I were paid to. . . Just saying. . .

Last edited:
Has anybody had success with neem as an insect repellent? I made a lotion bar with neem, lavender eo and tea tree eo and I still had mosquito bites. I am a mosquito buffet, so possibly it would protect a normal person but just not tasty, tasty me.

Just wanted to say if anyone knows of a fragrance that will cover the smell of neem please let me know! I've tried everything I can think of, even clove and tea tree, nothing covers the stench, and yes, I'm sorry, it is a stench.

I used 1 part Tea Tree, 1 part Rosemary, 1 part Lemongrass and 2 parts Lavender. I can still smell the neem slightly but it doesn't make me gag (like it does OOB). My recipe only used 8% neem though.

I've only smelled it once, but I thought it smelled like someone mistook the monster movie they were in...

Think vampires, get garlic.
Turns out to be zombies, get eaten.

Neem = aroma of garlic and corpses.

That's just from my *very* brief sniffing though. Maybe it all isn't so, umm, fragrant. Good luck!

I've only smelled it once, but I thought it smelled like someone mistook the monster movie they were in...

Think vampires, get garlic.
Turns out to be zombies, get eaten.

Neem = aroma of garlic and corpses.

That's just from my *very* brief sniffing though. Maybe it all isn't so, umm, fragrant. Good luck!

No, you are right. Its some of the most horrible smelling stuff around. I use it at 5% in my shampoo bars and I can still smell it.
I did use 25% once, it almost ran me out of the house but after a very long cure, it kinda of smells like black tea, at least until it gets wet. Then it smells like tea and rotten garlic.

It may not smell good, but it is wonderful in a dog shampoo bar. My Great Pyr was suffering from hot spots. I shampooed her with soap containing neem seed oil and she healed beautifully.

Title correction: 'NEEM oil', not 'need oil' LOL

Fixed it for you. :)

Edited to add that when I grew tomato plants in my back yard, I used to spray them with a neem spray from the garden store. It kept the leaf-hoppers and aphids at bay, but did nothing for those leaf-eating, fat, green caterpillars with horns on their heads (and bums).

To my nose, neem smells like burnt garlic.

IrishLass :)

Last edited:
From my scan of the last two posts, my detective skills tell me that corpses smell like peanuts :S

Hahahaha I've smelled it and I smell no corpses.... garlic, yes, a very earthy kinda loamy smell, yes... I'll even say it has a musky oniony smell in there... but no corpses LOL

And I want to try it in a wash off, not a lotion, so thought a soak might help my skin.... but I'm rethinking the idea and maybe a wrap on the affected areas would be better LOL

TY vm for all the helpful and entertaining feedback :)

fixed it for you. :)

edited to add that when i grew tomato plants in my back yard, i used to spray them with a neem spray from the garden store. It kept the leaf-hoppers and aphids at bay, but did nothing for those leaf-eating, fat, green caterpillars with horns on their heads (and bums).

To my nose, neem smells like burnt garlic.

Irishlass :)

ty :)

Back