What's the diagnosis? DOS? Aargh!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh, peeps, Zing needs some help. I checked on a soap today, just days from the 6 week mark. It's turning yellow around the edges. What is happening?

My recipe is below. It is my normal recipe and I've long used the essential oils and micas, all with no problems.

I used single cavity molds for leftover soap and they look fine! Those were unmolded after 1 week, the loaf after 24 hours.

It's stored on freezer paper lined shelving and other batches look fine. The first 2 photos are now with the yellow tinge, the last 2 photos are at unmolding.

I don't think I can give these as gifts. :mad:
Capture.PNG
20211128_144212.jpg
20211128_144219.jpg20211020_213805.jpg20211020_213824.jpg

It's only on the edges - could it be discoloring due to something other than DOS? Is there anything at all you can think of that the soap came in contact with? If it isn't smelling off at all, just watch it and see what happens. One of the few batches I've had develop DOS was a recipe with RBO. I can't say that was the only thing that could have caused it, but it was the only oil different from other batches made around the same time using the same oils that were all fine.

I'm sorry - such a pretty soap :(. Maybe it's just discoloration of some sort.

Thanks, @dibbles and @KiwiMoose , I'll keep watching it. Several weeks ago another batch got DOS and it was definitely 'spots' -- it's more like a rind on this batch. It's still curing, on freezer paper on a shelving unit, it only has contact with air and paper. Other soaps on the shelving unit are fine. It also smells fine -- that other DOS batch smelled awful.

I don't think I can give these as gifts. :mad:
They don't have coffee grounds & poppy ➡ I'd take them. 😂

Seriously, the bars appear quite translucent (intense gelling?). It looks weird, but maybe it's just from a slightly uneven cure & mellows out when you give it another month or two. Who knows how trippy the colourants in the mica have decided to be this week, but tame again next week?
Can you exclude being tricked with the avocado actually being soybean oil?

DOS isn't usually as hurried as barely above one month. It's a good sign (for now) that they don't smell off.

Latest posts

Back