What's that liquid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayrian

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am making a simple Palm Olein and Palm Kernel Oil Soap and wondering what is this liquid coming out from the soap. I have tried many molds and these liquid soaks wet my baking paper and the color of the molds are transferred onto the bottom of my soap. So this time I tried mold with clear acrylic so I can see what's happening and I find this liquid coming out under the soap. It is light and oily. So I am assuming its the oil and something else. I have tried soaping at 50 deg Celc and also at room temperature and these made no difference.
Anyone had these problem before and how to prevent it.

Thank you

Wood Mark.jpg

Boxes Mark.jpg

20150521_144411.jpg

20150521_144332.jpg

Palm olein is going to be roughly similar to olive oil. I too am wondering if your soap may be separating in the mold. Are you using a stick blender and blending to a definite trace before you pour the soap into the mold?

Another possibility is you're trying to unmold too soon (especially for the soap in the last 2 photos). Hard to say about the first two soaps -- the soap in the second photo could be discolored from the type of fragrance you are using. The soap in the first photo -- I'm assuming you're showing us the bottom surface of the soap bars -- could be separation of fragrance or other water based ingredient in the soap. Hard to say without any more info besides the photos.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response.

I am using the following from soap calc:
Water 190 grams
Palm Olein 375 grams
Palm Kernel Oil 125 grams
No Fragrances.

I don't have a stick blender, I used hand blender and I don't use any fragrances.

I unmolded between 18-24 hours. I zapped tested the liquid and it zapped. What should I do? Mixed it abit longer or leave it longer to unmold and cut?

I have used the soap with the stain on the photos and they work fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Considering how flat the surface is that you poured, it looks like you didn't get the batter thick enough. Mix more next time, and you can soap a little warmer if you have a problem getting trace. A little less water could help avoid separation, but the strategy would be more clear if you can be sure of what kind of palm olein you are using. Standard olein is about the same as regular palm oil. Superolein can be considerably softer.

I'm guessing you are getting some separation due to not using a stick blender. You can make soap without one -- my grandmother did it all the time -- but it takes longer. It can also be harder to get the batter evenly mixed. Due to this issue, you may be putting the batter into the mold before you get a stable, consistent emulsion.

Consider mixing the batter until it has the consistency of cooked pudding or gravy -- what I'd call medium trace -- before you pour, and see if that helps. Here's a thread that might be helpful to you: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=514511

Watch when you pour to see if the entire amount of soap batter has an even color and texture. If you see any traces of thinner liquid or differently-colored liquid, especially at the end of the pour, there is a problem. If the soap batter is not fully mixed when you pour, it's not going to get any better sitting in the mold.

And, yes, I'm also guessing you need to wait longer to unmold. With this much liquid fat in your recipe, it will be a fairly soft soap at first, so you will need to be patient. Try waiting a day or two and see if the soap is fully solid and firm.

I hope this helps -- these are just suggestions that may or may not solve your troubles, but they are the best ideas I can offer!

Hi Top Hi Dee,

Thank you for the advise.

@ Top -- the palm olein I used is normal Olein.

@ Dee -- maybe the issue is with the hand blender, I stirred it for between 5-10 minutes and when I used a spatulla it has a trace behind its path so I poured into the mold. However I realise that there is a slight different in texture. The first part of the soap where I pour into the mold is soft and smooth. While the bottom part is thicker and coarse (if that make sense). I will follow your advice to stir it longer and wait longer to unmold.

Another newbie question: what is the difference in result between using stick blender and hand blender? and can I still use the soap that have a separation issue?

Thanks again

Another newbie question: what is the difference in result between using stick blender and hand blender? and can I still use the soap that have a separation issue?

You can very likely use it, but the soap at the top would have more oil and the bottom would get more lye water, so there would be a difference commensurate with the amount of separation. Surely not quite what you wanted, but if you touch the bottom portion to your tongue and don't feel the sting from the alkali, it's okay to use.

Assuming not too much water, the degree of trace (thickness) of the soap batter is a good indication of whether the ingredients are likely to stay properly mixed. You just need to go further with that. For a recipe that thickens slowly, the blender will get you there faster. You also can do it by hand if you take the time. Use a tool that mixes well, like a whisk.

It sounds like you have something like palm olein 56. If you use Soapcalc, you can choose palm oil or palm olein from the list and it should be close enough. It's very liquid compared to palm oil but not really so different.

Latest posts

Back