What's Left with Soapmaking Friend?

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, May 6, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 8, 2019 #101

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Deadgroovy

Resize recipe to fit mold size still not working :(

2. May 8, 2019 #102

Admin

Admin

Admin

Staff Member Admin

We will get this before weeks end.

Deadgroovy and SaltedFig like this.
  3. May 9, 2019 #103

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Notes aren't saving for me

4. May 9, 2019 #104

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I had that problem a couple of times yesterday, but then after making several tests, they started saving. It was weird. Not sure why it would be sporadic.

5. May 9, 2019 #105

Nate_olsa

Nate_olsa

Nate_olsa

I'm new to SMF but was glad to check out SoapMakingFriend.

What an incredible tool and resource! Bravo on creating this comprehensive and aesthetically pleasing system— I look forward to transitioning to using it often!

One feature that would be really cool (although potentially really complex to create) would be the ability to choose your oils/butters and then have slider toggles on the characteristics ratings (hardness, cleansing, longevity, etc.) so that one could adjust these qualities and see resulting oils percentages. Right now, I have to enter in different percentages and then check the results, but I'd love to be able to input my oils and then find out how to optimize my recipe for a given characteristic. This would probably be mathematically quite complex (or maybe not... I'm not a math person!).

Thanks for again for sharing this with us!

6. May 9, 2019 #106

melinda48

melinda48

melinda48

Supporting Member

I just entered a batch. I would like to have the information print out on one side of the page. Is there any way to do this? My custom additives printed on the second page (I double-sided the print job but would love mohave everything on one side.) That is one thing I like about SoapCalc; the whole recipe prints on one side while the color graph prints on the second. What I do is choose 2-up when printing to get both the recipe and graph on the same page. Would like to have that ability with this.

group7access and Admin like this.
  7. May 9, 2019 #107

glendam

glendam

glendam

I cannot see tetrasodium EDTA yet, I also looked under EDTA...just checked. I usually add the powder straight to the lye water, I do not make a solution of it. I tried to add is as a separate additive. However, I could not. The lye calculator I use currently gives me the amount. It calculates at 5 g/1000 g of total batch weight. Alternatively, I tried to do it at 0.50% of total batch. However, the additives seem to be calculated on the total oils weight only, not batch.
    I could not use the facebook login, it gave me an error message, so I registered with my email. Other than the above, everything else looks great, I like the graphic charts.

Admin likes this.
  8. May 9, 2019 #108

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Notes are saving for me now but I switched to PC, will test it on mobile later. Is there anyway to hide the graphs? They don't save to my computer right with the program I use and would be a waste of ink when printing.

9. May 9, 2019 #109

madison

madison

madison

I am trying a recipe using citric acid at 2%. Is there anyway I can determine the % I want to use? Also, how do I calculate the additional amount of lye to add afterwards?
    I am trying to add sugar, is it possible to have the same feature for citric acid? I mean for example to add 1 Tbs per Ib.
    Thank you for all the hard work.
    Edited to mention that I went back and found both sugar and citric acid are having the same feature, look like I need to calculate the final amount then add it.

10. May 10, 2019 #110

atiz

atiz

atiz

It calculates the additional lye amount automatically. So if you put in x% of citric acid, it will automatically increase the lye in your recipe to account for that. (You can test it: calculate your recipe first w/o citric acid, check the lye amount; then calculate the same with citric acid and check the lye amount again. It will be slightly bigger.)

11. May 10, 2019 #111

SoapOfTheNorth

SoapOfTheNorth

SoapOfTheNorth

No need- I understand what you're saying.
    I can see in the natch maker where you add your additive like your rosemary oil etc - which is fine. It's a good idea to put it there. It's just that I stock-keep my additives like my base oils - I stock-keep everything, even bottle and packaging - but that aside there isn't any way to add to your supplies things that are not in the additives list.. I think we need that.

12. May 10, 2019 #112

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Only thing I missed or just did not find the option was to edit an existing recipe and save it as a new recipe. Maybe I just did not see it

13. May 10, 2019 #113

madison

madison

madison

Thank you Atiz.

atiz likes this.
  14. May 10, 2019 #114

Rsapienza

Rsapienza

Rsapienza

The graphs show on my screen but when I print they are not there. I was using an android.

15. May 10, 2019 #115

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

Keep the comments coming, I know they are working on the suggestions earlier in this thread and may be reading and working on it without time to check in.

16. May 11, 2019 #116

Cherrydene soapy

Cherrydene soapy

Cherrydene soapy

I love this I don’t use anything else. I always print mine off for my record purpose :thumbs::thumbs:

17. May 13, 2019 #117

group7access

group7access

group7access

I am still quite new to soap making and had not heard of Soapmaking Friend until now. As soon as I saw that I could save recipes online, I was sold. I had just started looking at SoapMaker 3 and just could not bring myself to spend money on something that would only be available to me on one computer, which is at one location.

My suggestions for Soapmaking Friend are:
    • Search Engine Optimization: I had search Google for "soap calculator" about a month ago and you were (and still are) not on the first page of results. This is why I had not heard of SMF.

• In the Recipe Results column, also show results in Pounds.

• Consider moving Save and Print action buttons so that they are independent of the Recipe and Results column - my very first time using the calculator, I turned on "Separate scroll" and couldn't find the buttons when I scrolled down because the Results column was still at the the top.

• More precision with numbers. SoapCalc's final recipe Pounds, Ounces, and Grams go to two decimal places.

• I saw a previous user's comment of wanting to be able to copy one of their existing recipes. After poking around, I saw that, when searching the public recipes, there is a Copy button. Now, I did also figure out that I could load one of my existing recipes, make a change, and then chose to "Save new", which accomplishes what the other user wanted to do, so I believe one solution may be to add the Copy action to a user's list of recipes.

• As another user stated, consider a re-brand away from Soap Maker Friend (SMF) as it is the same acronym as the forum.

18. May 13, 2019 #118

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I cannot open up saved recipes and would like Tetrasodium EDTA, and Sorbitol to be added to the Additives list

19. May 13, 2019 #119

Kerbear31

Kerbear31

Kerbear31

I’m on it right now, and I can’t easily find where my privately saved recipes are. Maybe create a “my recipes” section that doesn’t require you to go into the actual soap Calc?

20. May 13, 2019 #120

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Unable to load saved recipes today. It keeps loading only the last saved one.
    It's there. When I load a saved recipe and make changes, the buttons right at the bottom are update, save new and print. If you've not changed the name it even reminds you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.