What's Left with Soapmaking Friend?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWinMadison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you enter essential oils in supplies?
Maybe "product" needs to be "category" and we add our own products like we add suppliers?
Yes! And above “category” (olive oil, coconut oil, mica, NaOH, etc) you have “Type” which is the broader categories of “base oils, colorants, lye, fragrance, packaging, etc.). Product should be free text. It could be generic like “Rosemary Essential Oil” or specific like “Celtic Rain Fragrance Oil.” I can SEE it, just not explain it.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'll admit I've not really used this as I really don't like change and I'm used to a different calc.
That being said, I did today and it was very nice, especially like that you can choose % of oils for additives.

One thing I find a bit off putting is how all the info is on one long page. I have to keep hunting for the actual recipe amounts amongst all the text.
Anyway to make the oils, fats, liquid, lye and additives a bold color like red? Would make it easier when scrolling on a mobile.
I never print my recipes, I save them all to evernote so ease of use with a screen would be great.

DWinMadison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where would this appear, on the recipe listing or print out?
If I were programming it would be a text box on the recipe screen, so I could copy/paste from there directly to my label template in MS Word, Publisher or any other program that I use to make my labels. Once it’s printed, it’s of no use to me as the whole purpose it to avoid having to look up ingredient names, determine the correct order and type them into my label. I want to copy/grab that text box from your screen (because it lists all my ingredients in descending order by volume with proper nomenclature and spelling) and paste that sucker into my label template, because you are awesome and my new best friend!

DWinMadison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I've not really used this as I really don't like change and I'm used to a different calc.
That being said, I did today and it was very nice, especially like that you can choose % of oils for additives.

One thing I find a bit off putting is how all the info is on one long page. I have to keep hunting for the actual recipe amounts amongst all the text.
Anyway to make the oils, fats, liquid, lye and additives a bold color like red? Would make it easier when scrolling on a mobile.
I never print my recipes, I save them all to evernote so ease of use with a screen would be great.
I assumed this was just another lye calculator like my tried and true Soapcalc.net. Once I realized they were talking about something much bigger (i.e. an alternative to Soapmaker) the proverbial light came on and I sat up and took notice. This has the potential, with a few tweaks, to be a game-changer. It saves me having to design my own inventory management and pricing program.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to suggest the following:

Editable Supplier names. After entering the supplier, I can not go back and edit it (corrections, etc.)

Fix the relational database that links the inventory to the Batch. I assume it is not functioning due to some missing link. The name of the supplier shows up in Batch, but the name of the inventory item does not. (No oil, no additives listed, only suppliers.)

Add units of measure choices for use of inventory items in Batch. I bought oils by the pound, but I use them by grams when I make soap. So I'd like to be able to enter inventory by the pound, but have the unit of measure used during soapmaking to be the one that is entered in Batch (if I ever figure out how to get Batch to work for me.)

atiz

Reaction score
I have been using it for a while now, mostly because I really like how it handles additives (listing which go in with the oils, which with the liquid, etc., plus also calculating the citric acid extra lye).
I have not used the other features apart from the calculator.

One thing someone has mentioned already: it would be useful to be able to move the oils in whichever order we want to. I do find it quite intuitive that it lists them by weight in the recipe; but I usually measure out my solid fats first (and start melting them) before the liquid ones, so I would probably drag them into that order if I could.

Thanks for all the development work on this. It really is a great resource.

DWinMadison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to suggest the following:

Editable Supplier names. After entering the supplier, I can not go back and edit it (corrections, etc.)

Fix the relational database that links the inventory to the Batch. I assume it is not functioning due to some missing link. The name of the supplier shows up in Batch, but the name of the inventory item does not. (No oil, no additives listed, only suppliers.)

Add units of measure choices for use of inventory items in Batch. I bought oils by the pound, but I use them by grams when I make soap. So I'd like to be able to enter inventory by the pound, but have the unit of measure used during soapmaking to be the one that is entered in Batch (if I ever figure out how to get Batch to work for me.)
I was thinking about your last point earlier. You have to ultimately reduce oils, lye, colorants and fragrance to a common denominator in order to price it. Because I’m American and therefore think the world revolves around me, I would reduce everything to ounces to calculate a cost per ounce of soap.

Alfa_Lazcares

Reaction score
I don't know if this is something common, but I was on the supply section, I added a supplier, I chose an oil, I entered the container size... and there are not liters. I don't know somewhere else, but here I mostly buy liters of oils, not by kg, unless it's a butter, do I think it would be useful to add that.

melinda48

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it, but it is not much different that soapee or SM3 which I use, Someone from Canada asked for CNF that's does not make sense in Canadian groups you have so much about CNF and this forum have mostly US people,
I do not think it needs the INCI names they are available everywhere. The software looks very interesting . I am thinking about registering
So, not being Canadian I don’t know what CNF is but is it difficult to include in the application? If not, why not make it as useable as possible for users regardless of whether they are Canadian or US-based.

Marcela Collins

Reaction score
Hi! I would love to be able to add my EO and FO purchases to the inventory supply tracking in my account as they are also part of my purchases.

Also I hope the batch calculator can grow as new oils and additive are found such as oil from algae or...powdered honey etc.

Thank you for this wonderful tool.

Amy78130

Reaction score
I really like this calculator and have actually switched from soap calc. I really love the idea of being able to calculate batches based on the mold size, hoping the wrinkles get ironed out! I love how soap calc does give you the ingredient list INCI and common names. I like that I can keep my inventory stored, but haven't played with this feature much. Only added some of my supplies. I couldn't figure out how to do a negative superfat for liquid soap. I like to reduce the ph post cook. I'll be thinking and playing around with some recipes tomorrow and will post if there's anything else I can think to help improve. Great job though guys! This calculator rocks!

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing someone has mentioned already: it would be useful to be able to move the oils in whichever order we want to. I do find it quite intuitive that it lists them by weight in the recipe; but I usually measure out my solid fats first (and start melting them) before the liquid ones, so I would probably drag them into that order if I could.

Thanks for all the development work on this. It really is a great resource.
I second this. I don’t sell so the inventory and cost tracking isn’t something I am overly concerned with. But I would really like to put the oils in the order I choose. I still can’t print on just one page unless I shrink to 50%, which is pretty small. This isn’t too big of an issue and I can live with it as is.

You have done a great job with this. Thank you.

SoniaAZ

Reaction score
I only use M&P , I've been doing a lot of research before I move to making my own, when I do I will use this tool. It's like another language to me!

Lankan

Reaction score
Hi I have one suggestion, Can you enable resizing the batch to meet the certain amount of lye. this would be useful for those wishes use one packet of lye without having to measure separately. in fact this would be a safer way than measuring lye separately. (If someone has 250g NaOH, the calculator should give the amount of oils to be used to fully use the 250g of NaOH

Dahila

Reaction score
So, not being Canadian I don’t know what CNF is but is it difficult to include in the application? If not, why not make it as useable as possible for users regardless of whether they are Canadian or US-based.
CNF is Cosmetic Notification Form which Canadians need to feel up with Health Canada, otherwise they not suppose to sell their products, it is complicated form and I have not idea how it can be included in software, It is naive to to think that it can be done. Cnf tutorial is like 25 pages long. It is right on Health Canada site available to everyone, Just must be read and followed. eh

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well SMF seems to hold two meanings now. Before the SoapBuilder or Soapmaker's Friend, SMF always meant Soap Making Forum when used in threads on the forum. Now some folks are calling the soapbuilder software SMF, too, so this is going to lead to confusion. I think something needs to be done to help the forum members avoid this confusion. I don't mean by renaming the software being developed, except maybe to add on something to distinguish the two from each other.

I am in canada if that helps.. what is SMF
Hi there, I've never used SMF & I don't make soap much these days. It looks good, but apart from seeing what other people might be experimenting with, i probably wouldn't use it, dunno maybe?
As a hobby soapmaker and Mac user, I haven't needed or been able to use SM3. Hopefully SMF is Mac-friendly?
Hey...on this subject, I used SMF for the 1st time last week specifically for the split lye feature. I’ll likely never use anything else. It’s great. If I had my dream feature, it would be for SMF to create a single text box including the ingredients, in order, by INSI name from my recipe, so I could do a single, quick cut-and-paste from the recipe to my label template. I would never even LOOK at another calculator if that were available, plus I would gladly pay for using it.

DWinMadison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you please share your “punch list” with us once it is compiled? I’d love to know what upgrades to expect..

Status
Not open for further replies.