What's Left with Soapmaking Friend?

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, May 6, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 7, 2019 #21

AliOop

AliOop

AliOop

As a hobby soapmaker and Mac user, I haven't needed or been able to use SM3. Hopefully SMF is Mac-friendly?

2. May 7, 2019 #22

MaryWaldman

MaryWaldman

MaryWaldman

First time looking at SoapmakingFriend.com , thank you for the heads up. From a web developer's point of view (my day job):
    1) PLEASE update the copyright year, it still says 2018. This is the first thing I look at when I review a site (and you should as well). Current year = somebody's minding the shop.
    2) HTTPS - good job
    3) Loads fast - good job
    4) Functions well on my mobile phone - excellent
    5) If SEO ranking is important to you, you might want to reconsider using Cloudflare. It's great but some users have experienced issues.
    6) Pretty good WAVE report (web accessibility rating), although visually it might need greater contrast for visually impared users

I will use this tool for my next batch.

Dahila and DWinMadison like this.
  3. May 7, 2019 #23

MelodyLeee

MelodyLeee

MelodyLeee

Any time I have had questions I just look through the post and usually find what I am looking for.
    I didn't realize that there were graphs, I did find a calculator for lye without much trouble. I ended up googling for one since the link on here took me to a blank page.
    I haven't seen any finacila information regarding batching but I no longer sell soap. I make it for my family only. To many people selling soaps now.

4. May 7, 2019 #24

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I might be asking for the moon here, But I would really love the future enhancement of being able to add recipes for other, non lye related items such as Body Butter, Lotion etc. I love having all my soap recipes in the same place and being able to pull them up but the ability to load a recipe for other items (With the same oil, additives and fragrance amounts) would be awesome!

Alanatt, DisneyMom and DWinMadison like this.
  5. May 7, 2019 #25

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

Well, I’m a hospital CEO / software developer / soap maker / glutton for punishment.

6. May 7, 2019 #26

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I use mac and I don’t think I’ve had any problems- but then again I don’t know if I’m seeing anything different to a PC user.

AliOop likes this.
  7. May 7, 2019 #27

Pamela Powell

Pamela Powell

Pamela Powell

Can't think of anything not already mentioned.

8. May 7, 2019 #28

DigitalEnigma

DigitalEnigma

DigitalEnigma

I just tried this for the first time and I quite liked it. I can imagine making this my go to calculator. I love the additives section. I frequently have issues with citric acid and this calculator takes care of that.

The only odd thing I noticed was how this program kept rounding out the ounces for my test mold size as well as the other option for “oils total” in ounces. This occurred both times when I saved my recipe. I would type in 13.5 oz, save the recipe and then pull it up again to find the field changed to 14 oz. I did not try grams, kilograms or pounds to see if that would make any difference.

I have not tried “My Supplies”, but would like to in the next day or so.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  9. May 7, 2019 #29

Ellen Prince

Ellen Prince

Ellen Prince

Supporting Member

Oh my! I still have so much to see and learn on this amazing group, I had no idea about SMF. I've just opened the page to see what the question was about and, as an utter and complete newbie, it looks amazing. Which probably means I'm not the best person to respond to your question, but even so, it looks fantastic. Did you create this yourself? will it be a subscription access page? I personally think it's brilliant. But, as I said, I am a complete newbie (I've done two batches of melt and pour for my mum hahaha) So I'm not really experienced in saying what it needs and doesn't need. But thank you so much for including me in the question :)
    Love n Light
    Elle

Admin and DWinMadison like this.
  10. May 7, 2019 #30

Arimara

Arimara

Arimara

Supporting Member

For me, I think a lye purity setting is needed. I like to be as accurate as possible when making soap and sometimes, my NaOH's purity is not at 95%.

Admin, Dahila and earlene like this.
  11. May 7, 2019 #31

Ellen Prince

Ellen Prince

Ellen Prince

Supporting Member

SMF is Soap Making Friend the programme the question is about :)

12. May 7, 2019 #32

Occam's Razor

Occam's Razor

Occam's Razor

I agree with the addition of a comprehensive list of the INCI and/or common name of all ingredients. And the default of "Private" recipe.
    I don't see an option for PPO for "Custom Additives". When using the "Add New" button, there is a "PPO" option that can be selected, but I don't see where to apply a PPO option when adding custom additives to a recipe.

Btw, I am using FF on a Mac.

group7access likes this.
  13. May 7, 2019 #33

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

DWinMadison

Supporting Member

Welcome to the obsession.

14. May 7, 2019 #34

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Brief look yielded:

ADD requests

AR1) Add a Percentage vs Ratio toggle
    Add a toggle at the top of the page, to set all calculations for lye concentration to be displayed as either a ratio or as a percentage lye concentration.
    Reason:
    Add to the cohesive look and feel of the page, by displaying the soaper’s preferred lye concentration (either ratio or lye concentration).​
    Existing process:
    Currently the page is cluttered with both fields, sometimes in a mixture of both.​
    Potential Error to be avoided:
    Calculation errors while manually converting from one method to another (eg. Manually converting the lye concentration percentage to a water to lye ratio).​
    Additional benefit(s) of this change:
    The number of fields on the screen can be reduced, as there would be only one display area required, instead of the potential 3 that are currently displayed.​

AR2) Add a Percentage Concentration for Masterbatch solution
    Allow a percentage concentration to be entered for Masterbatch (KOH and/or NaOH) lye solutions
    Reason:
    I want to be able to use a more concentrated solution (over 50%).
    Primarily this is useful to maximize my other liquids while still using water as my solvent for the caustic.​
    Existing process:
    The lye concentration is currently restricted to ratio only.
    Currently I am required to manually calculate the ratio from my percentage solution before I can enter my recipe into Soapmaking Friend.​
    Potential Error to be avoided:
    Calculation error while manually converting the lye concentration (percentage) to water to lye ratio.​
    Additional benefit(s) of this change:
    I can easily see if the lye concentration is wrong when it is in percentages (the saturation point of a lye solution varies with temperature), but I may miss an error when in the unfamiliar ratio form.​

AR3) Add NaOH purity
    Add a percentage purity field for the NaOH Purity.
    Reason:
    The purity of NaOH does vary over time and is measurable.
    Some chemical suppliers also provide the NaOH purity as part of their product documentation.
    Having the ability to enter the NaOH purity would increase the functionality of the calculator.​
    Existing process:
    The purity (percentage) of KOH is able to be entered, but there is no functionality for entering the NaOH purity.​
    Potential Issue(s) to be avoided:
    Potential 1 Error: Calculation error when manually adjusting for the NaOH purity.
    Potential 2 Issue: Overly superfatted soap no adjustment is made for purity, where the product is not 100% pure.​

VISUAL MODIFICATIONS

VM1) Vertically align Masterbatch NaOH and Masterbatch KOH

The two lines, for masterbatch NaOH and Masterbatch KOH, are not vertically aligned

FUNCTIONAL MODIFICATION

FM1) Set low and upper limits for the liquid Soap %KOH purity entry field

1/ Error coding for values exceeding the lower limit (set at 1% for KOH masterbatching) are required for the liquid soap %KOH purity field.
    2/ Error coding for values exceeding 100% are required for the liquid soap %KOH purity field.
    Reason:
    Currently there no error coding for values outside of the physically possible range of %KOH purity (it makes no sense to have a negative amount of purity, or a purity exceeding 100%).​
    Potential Issue(s) to be avoided:
    Potential Issue: The calculator uses non-sensical mathematical figures to calculate the lye amounts. A negative number is immediately obvious, however an excess lye concentration (above 100%) results in the final recipe not having enough lye.​

FM2) Limit the Masterbatch KOH percentage to an upper value of 100%
    Error coding for values over 100% are required for the masterbatch KOH percentage field.
    Reason:
    Currently there is error coding when the value is less than 1%, but no corresponding error coding exists for values over 100%.​

FM3) Turning on NaOH masterbatch doesn’t decrease the Liquid required for dual lye soaps
    Setting the soap to dual lye, and toggling the masterbatch NaOH on an off shows that the masterbatch lye weight increases, but the corresponding decrease in “Liquid required” has not been coded.

FM4) Purity adjustment should not apply to water content
    Do not increase the water content when adjusting for a caustic purity lower than 100%
    (A lower caustic strength should not result in more water being added to the soap batch)
    Reason:
    Two common contaminants of caustic are soda carbonate and WATER.
    While the weight of the caustic needs to be increased, to account for the lower purity of the caustic, the original water amount (according to the recipes’ lye concentration/lye ratio) should be retained.
    (If the caustic has increased in weight as a result of absorbing water, it does not make sense to add more water when compensating for this weight increase).​

15. May 7, 2019 #35

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I know I'm a bit of a broken record here, but...

1. I would like an option to download my recipe for use in a spreadsheet. So, either in an existing spreadsheet format, or maybe in comma-separated text, or whatever you call it.

2. In the public database, I would like a search option to be able to search for a recipe based on the author name. Maybe it could go within the "Recipe Details" search?

SeattleMartin and Ladka like this.
  16. May 7, 2019 #36

SeattleSoap

SeattleSoap

SeattleSoap

Supporting Member

Runs well on my MacBook using Chrome. Great work on this.

17. May 7, 2019 #37

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Can you expand on that? What would you like to see?

I don’t understand what that means- can you expand a little on the description so I can understand what you would like to see?

18. May 7, 2019 #38

jax1962

jax1962

jax1962

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game..... Haven't had lots of time to play with it yet but so far I'm loving it. I love the way you see instant results in the recipe qualities but I have one question: what is the Longevity scale based on? Just plugging a basic recipe with 50% Olive Oil doesn't even make it into the yellow scale, let alone the green, only 16?

Ladka likes this.
  19. May 7, 2019 #39

Lankan

Lankan

Lankan

I had some issues with resizing to the mold capacity. there were some errors in conversion of weight in to volume. I would appreciate if that can be fixed.

RottenRunt likes this.
  20. May 7, 2019 #40

Louise TAYLOR

Louise TAYLOR

Louise TAYLOR

Hello, I received a message to come here and answer questions. Before I can do so I need to know what SMF is and maybe have a go at using it.

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.