What's in your Soap Pot this weekend?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I make my whipped Shea butter, it takes about 45 minutes or more to get it to where I want it using my Kitchen aide stand mixer. How long does yours take, Tab?

Paul.... :) :wink:

You will hate me for this.... 6minutes!

I put it in an ice bath though & whip it in that ice bath. Shea & oil in a metal bowl setting in a larger metal bowl filled with ice & water.

Tabitha said:
You will hate me for this.... 6minutes!

You're right, I think I hate you! LOL :lol: NOT!

You use a stick blender with a whisk attachment? I'm trying to think how I could use my Kitchen Aide stand mixer as it has a stainless steel bowl and get faster results. Maybe use soft blue ice packs around it would help speed the process along! Thanks Tab!

I hate making whipped shea.. trying to get it in its containers.. I swear... I should stop carrying it all together..

Thanks for all the advise. Unfortunately my Oatmealsoap was a disaster. Ii was a little grainy and gloopy looking when I poured it but I though I might be ok, about 1 hour later I checked on it and it had about 1/2" of oil on top. I chunkedit back in the pot, applied a little heat and some vigorous stirring and put it back in. It didnt seperate this time and set up ok but when I cut it the next day it felt a little oily. I guess I will see how it cures. I am blaming it on the honey. I have made this recipe 3 times and have cut it close every time. I think I may leave out the honey next time. It just makes everything too weird. My apple jack turned out great though, as did my non-oatmeal honey almond.

Oh man, that sucks Ed! I hate working with honey and only add very little now, just enough to say there is honey in there. It is a great humistat in CP soap though, but really heats up if you don't watch it. I only add about 1 teaspoon per pound of oils. Some are using the powdered honey with success. I absolutely hate rebatching with a passion! I have had to do it because I hate loosing all the ingredients and time spent, but I still loath it! LOL

Well, everyone, it's back to the work week and Shannan is back to host this topic this Friday. :) Thanks to everyone who chimed in! Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving to all my soap making family here! :D :D I wish I could have every one of you guys around the dinner table Thursday with us, but Phyllis would probably divorce me :( after 25 years for inviting that many friends! Happy Thanksgiving! 8) :D

Soapmaker Man said:
pepperi27 said:
Dragon that is a beautiful soap! i'm making some banana oatmeal soap and pomegranate vanilla soap! Smells yummy!

That sounds really great too! Are you using any natural ingredients it it besides the oatmeal perhaps pepperi27?

Paul.... :)

Yup! I've mixed my fresh unbruised banana with citric acid and vitamin e, finely ground oatmeal, ako. It smelled so good with the hot soap! Im going to check on it right now lol!

I'm with you Paul- I use my Kitchenaid too- takes a long time. Do you use your whisk attachment! I think I will try ice packs myself.

I use an old Sunbeam Mixmaster I picked up at a garage sale a few years back. It has 2 beaters like you use when you make a cake.

I hate making whipped shea.. trying to get it in its containers.. I swear... I should stop carrying it all together..
I hate making it too! That is why I make it just 1-2 times a year & make sure everyone knows it's why quantities last. I do it for the winter Holidays & again for Vday.

It's too dang hot to ship shea in TX anyway, it would melt. I can ship Nov-Feb and that is about it.

I'm making whipped natural Shea and Kpangnan Butters tomorrow, using Sweet Almond Oil and Mac Nut Oil with some Primrose Oil. I add just a touch of TD to lighten the batch since I'm using unfiltered butters. I want all the goodness from those 2 butters. Kpangnan is so decadent! It feels so good by itself! I know what you mean about the stuff melting when we were in FL man summertime was a killer for this stuff!

leansoapqueen said:
I'm with you Paul- I use my Kitchenaid too- takes a long time. Do you use your whisk attachment! I think I will try ice packs myself.

YUP, that is the attachment I use to whip the stuff up! I love that baby! My wife "gave" it to me after she bought the Kitchenaid Pro Model. :roll:
Wasn't that nice of her! LOL It really is nice to let it do it's thing! :wink:
I think the soft ice packs wrapped around the stainless steel bowl and using a towel to hold them to the bowl will work well! :idea:

You know Tab I think sometimes older is better maybe I should use my old one- I'm a baker as well so that is why I have all the Kitchenaid and even a Kitchenaid hand mixer- it just happens to come in handy for soap but I need to cut down that darn whippung time! My recipe is one- beat 4 min. rest 3 min- over and over and over- ughhh! Drives me crazy lol- if I didn't like to use it so much I wouldn't make it! :)

Body frosting, Tub truffles, lip balm, more soap and gonna try my hand at solid bubble bath and maybe liquid soap. oooh and more bread :D

Latest posts

Back