What's Going On With My Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely gorgeous!! Looking at the inside, I definitely agree that this batch got a little hot. The only time I've had glycerin rivers is when my soaps got a little too warm while I CPOP'd

Yup, that's what it has to be. Thanks to DeeAnna's link to Auntie Clara's, I've been doing some reading. Fascinating stuff. Fairly high water content, too much heat... I've learned a thing or two making this batch. I'm not calling this batch a failure by any means (I love the look of the soap) but I certainly am calling it a learning experience.

I'll have to take a picture of my fuzzy ash next time I make that batch, for comparison. I can't drop the water any further in that one due to the clay-it would just thicken up too fast! But I just brush it off when I wrap and it doesn't recur.

I had the bumps on a batch of soap I made and I did some research and I figured mine was from the stearic acid in the palm oil. It looked like little pimples all over the top of my soap.

What I did to solve this was to melt my oils to about 165 degrees and mix consistently while the oils were cooling and I soaped at around 125 degrees and the bumps went away.

I called the oil company that I buy the palm oil from and they said to melt the palm oil down to a clear liquid and stir very well until it cools.

Back