Whats for dinner?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About half of this will be my lunch for tomorrow, along with a small salad. DH has about half of his left, too.
20190205_191322_HDR.jpg

About half of this will be my lunch for tomorrow, along with a small salad. DH has about half of his left, too.
View attachment 35929

I love making enough for leftovers, but it looks like you two eat like birds!

Ooh show us when you're done?

Majority if my life was spent in teo different countries in the middle east and I loooove Arabic food :)
Here you go, luv! There are SO many styles of making this. Usually, it's much thinner, but I wanted it heartier tonight. Adding rice is optional.

Was it Saudi, or UAE? And what was the other one?
20190205_tomato paste add 204819.jpg Adding tomato paste (cooked first)
20190205_ready to plate 212645.jpg Ready to plate!
20190205_plated ungarnished 214155-1.jpg
Plated! (and devoured :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks yummy!

You are right on both counts actually. I grew up in Saudi Arabia (my parents met and partied like rockstars over there lol) and worked in the UAE until recently (by recent I mean im close to 2yrs back home lol).

Leftover night for us. I had leftover homemade mac & cheese (made with Havarti and Gouda cheeses) with slices of my home-grown tomatoes tossed into the mix (yum!). Hubby had spaghetti with leftover homemade tomato meat sauce.

IrishLass :)

Which is exactly why my hub is the cook in the family!! HAHA
Mine too! (now; after 29 & 3/4 years of me doing the cooking) He is also the much better cook, and enjoys cooking more than I do.
I enjoy the eating. ;)
But he is on travel for the week in Denver, so I must fend for myself.

Janelle

Going to brown some "mixed lamb pieces" (about half fat and bones :eek:), and make a pot of harira, a North African lentil soup that's often eaten in parts of the Muslim world for Ramadan. It's reasonably quick to make (er, what? o_O), can be varied easily, and very nutritious food. Back story: I'm 100% Sicilian (all four grandparents emmigrated to America from the island). We Sicilianos all have Arab blood, and i'm certain my lineage contains Algerian, Persian (not really Arabs, but...), possibly Bedouin, and definitely North African Sephardic Jew.
That sounds delicious!! :)

Stuffed peppers from Costco...one of my New Year's resolutions is to eat more prepared food...yes, you read that correctly....I cook A LOT from scratch, but that takes a lot of time and planning and stuff, so I determined that once in a while, I would buy some prepared food. So far, we've been really happy with Costco's offerings...almost as good as my cooking :p

You have to try their Street Tacos if they carry them at your Costco...they are really good. Their Bulgogi is really good too, I just cook up some cauliflower rice to serve the Bulgogi over once cooked.

I cook most nights but once a week I will grab something from Costco or we will order out. I like cooking and make enough to get a couple meals out of. It's just my husband and I most of the time. Though lately my daughter and grankids have been showing up a couple times a week. My grandkids are picky so I just keep mac and cheese or spaghetti O's on hand. My granddaughter will try things and eat more than my grandson who pretty much is turning into mac & cheese.

Last night was spaghetti and garlic bread, then out for beers and dessert at the local pub.
Tonight is church night so I won't be home until 9 or 10 and hubby will be running kids around between the churches (we're spread out between 3 churches - the joy of a blended family!) so likely dinner will be whatever fast food is the most convenient or leftovers.

You have to try their Street Tacos if they carry them at your Costco...they are really good. Their Bulgogi is really good too, I just cook up some cauliflower rice to serve the Bulgogi over once cooked.
I don't think I've ever seen those here!! We've had stuffed peppers, butter chicken and souvlaki pork chops. Chicken was our favourite until last night, but now peppers are on top. We've only ever had each once, mind you.
I need to make dinner 8 hrs early...freezing rain here, but the wife and kids will venture out to a friends' place so the kids can entertain each other. Deal is I must make them a big pot of mac and cheese for the road... will use instantpot as I have a recipe for all in one (surprising. i didn't think it would be good). Problem is, I have very little old cheddar. I have smoked cheddar, gouda, mozzarella, parmesan, feta and provolone. And cottage cheese and cream cheese. But I will bet that those picky kids will turn their noses up no matter what I use....

Mine too! (now; after 29 & 3/4 years of me doing the cooking) He is also the much better cook, and enjoys cooking more than I do.
I enjoy the eating. ;)
But he is on travel for the week in Denver, so I must fend for myself.

Janelle
hehe, I'm a Janel too, just spelled differently.
Anyway, in the 21 years my hub and I have been together, he has been the cook for the last 17 years. He complained one too many times about how I should make stuff, so I walked out of the kitchen with something on the stove, handed him the spatula and told him, great, it's all yours!! LOL
Now I do help him once in a while, but it's rare, and he really doesn't mind so it's all good.

hehe, I'm a Janel too, just spelled differently.
Anyway, in the 21 years my hub and I have been together, he has been the cook for the last 17 years. He complained one too many times about how I should make stuff, so I walked out of the kitchen with something on the stove, handed him the spatula and told him, great, it's all yours!! LOL
Now I do help him once in a while, but it's rare, and he really doesn't mind so it's all good.
lol-- that is awesome. I used to say to my dh, I don't think I could not know and plan what I'm having for dinner, just eating what shows up in front of me like you do. But, it turns out, when the food is delicious, I've found I really don't care and I don't need to know.
I just show up when its dinner time ;)
PS: Very cool we share the same name--its unique, and I've only met one person with it in 48 years. She and I used to ride the shuttle bus to work together and when someone said Janelle, we both looked.

Janelle

PS: Very cool we share the same name--its unique, and I've only met one person with it in 48 years. She and I used to ride the shuttle bus to work together and when someone said Janelle, we both looked.
I went to school with 2 others, and worked with a Janelle. All with the extra LE on the end. I think I'm the only one I know that spells it like this. Well, my mom spelled it like this anyway!! LOL

Sorry to the OP for being so OT.

My book club meetup was postponed so tonight I stayed in with the hubby and kiddos. Hubby made pizza with pepperoni, black olive and yellow peppers (mine without pepperoni). It's kinda his go-to on my book club nights.

Tonight I am on my own, so I think I'm just gonna be really lazy and open up a can of a childhood favorite of mine- Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Normally, I cook our dinners from scratch, but it's nice to have a lazy night off and indulge my inner child. Tomorrow night I'll be back on the from-scratch wagon again.

IrishLass :)

Flank steak on the grille, squash, us gratin potatoes, salad ( my in-laws do most of the cooking when they are here). If we were cooking it would be frozen pizza and a bowl of ice cream !

Ok. This time I have a picture. We love our "cafeteria" trays for squeezing in a little family TV time. Tonight it's meatloaf, mashed Root veg, corn, Clementine, and "God Friended Me." View attachment 35986
I love that idea! And great for portion control.

Back