What's a salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you make it sound very nice. I don't know that I've ever noticed it when I was looking for fragrances, I'll have to check it out. Where is Auckland, is that in NZ?

I just got a bottle of Tea Tree, I was planning on using it in my clay facials, but I can't stand the scent. I think I will stick with Rosehip Seed Oil, really for a facial, the benefits are much better.

Barefoot

These sound excellent, one more to add to my "list of soaps to make" I think sooner than later :D

I got my first bottle from New Directions here in Canada - it doesn't seem to be all that common. I'm sure I've smelled the regular Tea Tree, but I can't recall what it's like...

Yup, Auckland is in NZ - it's the biggest city (but not the capitol). Lovely city: gorgeous harbour, beaches everywhere, little extinct volcanic hills scattered here and there like cakes, sheep in some of the urban parks... Here's a nice pic of it (not mine, it's taken from this website http://www.dochemp.com/auckland.html):

auckland2.jpg

See the little strip of green to the left of the spire on the tower? That's roughly where my SIL lives. And my MIL and FIL live at the base of the little hill (Mt Victoria, one of those volcanos) far to the right of the spire. (This is not where the tea trees are - different house).

barefootbody said:
I quote: "Bath salts help heal cuts, burns, wounds, and insect bites. The minerals found in the salts are absorbed through the skin which is essential to the bodies' functions. Bath salts also flush out harmful toxins from the body and is a good stress reliever. It also exfoliates the skin, leaving the skin smooth and supple."

I used salts scrubs in the shower for a long time, and really noticed an improvement to my skin. I stopped using them for about 6 months, and again, noticed a change, not for the better, to my skin, so I started using salts again & my skin improved very quickly. Now I've been out of salts for about a week & using my sugar scrub in the shower, let's see what my skin does . . .

As for types of salts, I prefer to use Dead Sea, hoping that it has a higher mineral content. For my salt soap (often called Spa Bar) I used regular table salt, it's what I had on hand . . .

I read that for the soap bar you should not use Dead Sea, it will totally kill the lather.

For a lot of the recipes I've seen on the net, any type of salt is acceptable, I can't tell you how times I've seen recipes for water softner pellets. Honestly, I've been eyeballing the canning salt in the cupboard! Haven't used it, but at some point, I'm going to read the ingredient list, you just know it!

Epsom Salts are not useable in a soap bar, actually, epsoms aren't really salts. Great product, but not the same as salt. I do use them in my scrubs though, along with other salts.

Dendritic is a good salt to add in to products because of the cut of it, very fine, cut like a star, and it readily absorbs & holds fragrance. Other than that, it's just sodium chloride, like all the other salts.

As for demand, I don't know. I made my salt bar because a guy requested it, and at my next party, I will have it out to be sampled, and I'll just have to see how well it sells. It sure has a lot of competition, with OO soap, clay soaps, goats milk, geez, soaps are nice!!!!

Barefoot

Hello everybody,

I just joined this forum and I m wondering if somebody tried already to add himalayan salt in the bar ? I m dying to try but prefer to wait for your advice.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Isy

I had never heard of Himalayan salt, so I looked it up. It's 98% NaCl, so I would imagine it would behave like regular table salt or sea salt in a salt bar. However, if it comes in big chunky crystals, I would grind it before using in soap.

Again, I have no experience using it, just my $0.02.

I saw something, somewhere during my wanderings tonight about Pink Himalyan Salt Bars and went hey I want to do that. So Voygeur, my regular wholesaler carries it in the small form - needless to say I ordered it! So I'n thinking 60% CO - 15% OO - 15% Cocoa Butter - 5% Castor & 5% Jojoba using a 15% SF and using .75 lbs of salt to sugar - scented it - well not sure on that - may keep it as another of my unscented products and promote as my Natural Salt Spa Bar - what does everyone think? From what I saw it creates a lovely pink bar of soap.

Thanks guys for your answer,

I think I ll take the plunge and try with the Himalayan salt (supposed to be good for skin conditons).
I ordered some a while again in here :
http://www.la-boutique-bio.com/product_ ... 42b586f995

Here s a few links that I found :
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/pinksalt.php
http://www.himalayansalt.info/himalayan ... efits.html
http://bodynaturalsoap.blogspot.com/200 ... -soap.html
http://shawano.olx.com/himalayan-salt-c ... d-14037259

Many thanks again for your answers
Isy

Hi, I used the himalayan salt in soap, did not have much luck, it turned out very crumbley, rebatched it and still no luck. I had some scraps and other soap for rebatching, ground some of the salt bars and put the whole lot in together with a little water and oil and......... the new rebatch is soft and crumbley????

Maybe I did not grind then fine enough, I dont know...

I made them over a month ago and just tried one and it broke up in my hand

I bought the cristals thinking I would get a peachey colour, I got white.

I have had great success with my rebatchs (Lindy way, thanks Lindy)

:) Hope you have more luck, It would be good if you could let us know

booboo said:
Hi, I used the himalayan salt in soap, did not have much luck, it turned out very crumbley, rebatched it and still no luck. I had some scraps and other soap for rebatching, ground some of the salt bars and put the whole lot in together with a little water and oil and......... the new rebatch is soft and crumbley????

Maybe I did not grind then fine enough, I dont know...

I made them over a month ago and just tried one and it broke up in my hand

I bought the cristals thinking I would get a peachey colour, I got white.

I have had great success with my rebatchs (Lindy way, thanks Lindy)

:) Hope you have more luck, It would be good if you could let us know

Hiya Booboo,

Did I read it right. You're an irish person living in Slovenia ?
In relation to the himalayan salt, I ll give it a go with a small batch and come back to let you know all about it.
Wish me luck.
Isy

I'm following you LJA, apparently.
i'd like to know too. I have a few bags of Himalayan Salt at home.

I have also never made CP before.. lol
I might try HP first.... I have no patience you see...

*standing by*

:) Hi Isy, thats me, been her a year and a half now its really beautiful, its hard work though as we are renovating a old cottage.we were hoping to have it done by now, so we could rent out the main house to bring in a income. We do have bees, which gives us honey and wax. Was hoping to get goats this year for milk and cheese, but I dont think we will be ready.Hopefully next spring the neigbours and us will be planting pumkins for oil. Then I will have everything for soap except the lye, Have been trying to make it from the potash, but it has'nt worked yet :(
Anyway good luck, I hope you have more success than I did.

This is a 50% salt bar , soaped like a dream and feels super on skin. It is my testers favorite .Colored with green chrome oxide and td.

CIMG5251.jpg

Here is the recipe I used , feel free to give it a try. Please run it through a lye calculator.

20 oz Canola
12 oz Coconut
10 oz Palm Kernel
18 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Castor

32 oz Sea Salt added at trace . Stir well and do any swirling etc.
I added about 3/4 tsp of td to the oils and then added 1 tsp chrome green oxide to the traced soap for the swirl.Scent as you like it . I had to use 2 molds as my largest is 4 lbs. This recipe did not harden up very quickly , I did not put it in the oven , I just kept an eye / finger on it.( poking it , to see how firm it was getting) :D
Have fun!!

PLEASE NOTE :!: If you do use this recipe , I will definitely need to be seeing pictures of it. :!:

edited to add recipe

Hi Booboo, nice to meet you.
So, after all, that's true what they say "wherever you go you bound to bump into a Paddy".
:D
As for me, I solve the problem by marrying one after spending a few year in Ireland. At the moment, our home is in France, where I come from but I have a feeling that we will be moving soon (itchy foot).
Slovenia sounds great and despite the hard work you seem to be having a great time.Good luck for the renovation.

Hi Kitn, I was about to post my message to Booboo when I saw your fantastic soap. Anychance I can have the recipe plse?

Isy

Kitn that looks nice! I may make a small batch this afternoon. I can't wait to try one. Mine is still curing, but I have this one oz bottle of FO: Little black dress, I need to do something with :)

Sorry Kitn, I was to gobsmacked by your picture that I forgot to scroll down the screen and look at the text below where you gave the recipe. Silly me ! That ll teach me !!!!!

Isy

thats okay Isy , I might have been editing it at that point , I added the recipe , so it may not have been there when you looked.

Kitn

Kitn said:
This is a 50% salt bar , soaped like a dream and feels super on skin. It is my testers favorite .Colored with green chrome oxide and td.

CIMG5251.jpg

Here is the recipe I used , feel free to give it a try. Please run it through a lye calculator.

20 oz Canola
12 oz Coconut
10 oz Palm Kernel
18 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Castor

32 oz Sea Salt added at trace . Stir well and do any swirling etc.
I added about 3/4 tsp of td to the oils and then added 1 tsp chrome green oxide to the traced soap for the swirl.Scent as you like it . I had to use 2 molds as my largest is 4 lbs.
Have fun!!

PLEASE NOTE :!: If you do use this recipe , I will definitely need to be seeing pictures of it. :!:

edited to add recipe

I am TOTALLY ganking that recipe, sister! LOL! How awesome is that soap?! I love the "marine" colors to go with the salt too. What grain of salt is appropriate for these things? Or does it even matter?

Love it! Thanks for sharing!!

Back