Whatcha eatin'?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lucked onto a piece of trout on sale today, so tonight it will be trout; but can't decide on what else....rice? mashed potatoes? oven-baked fries ( I usually serve those with fish).....leaning towards frozen peas with mashed; love those together.

Yesterday, I made a HUGE pot of clean-out-the-fridge vegetable soup; will be eating it for a loooong time, as I froze 8, 2-person containers of it (5 ladles per container). It began with a can of diced tomatoes, then the usual carrots+celery+onion+garlic, then some broccoli, asparagus, bok choi, corn niblets, ....see what I mean? So today I can't look at vegetables. Maybe some peas, that's all.

That sounds YUMMY. I love those soups.

The trout sounds awesome too... I guess I would have something seasonal with it, for me that would be squash. I have 2 sitting around right now.

I made a big beef stew which has been in the crock pot all day. Still needs a couple of hours but I'm having that with a round loaf of Whole Foods 12 grain bread (didn't have enough time to make my own bread :( ).

I had an Indian take-out tonight, it was basically a spicy veg curry with pilau rice and an extra garlic naan bread...guess I'll be stinky breath tomorrow lol :wink:

I had bbq take out tonight. Pork Ribs with bbq sauce, bread, fried onion tanglers, and mac n cheese. SOooooo bad for me, but soooooo good!

This is in my oven right now:

http://www.marthastewart.com/281007/macaroni-and-cheese

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18 ounces)
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces) or 1 1/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese (about 5 ounces)
1 pound elbow macaroni

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.

In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.

While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.

Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce

Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made substitutions to use what I have here and to make it a little healthier but no major changes. Just whole grain noodles and bread, plus lactose-free milk. Plus I used gouda cheese in place of the gruyere since I had it already and love it very much.

I tasted the sauce and it was YUMMY, creamy, rich. I bet this would be great as a side for Thanksgiving dinner. I think I might bring it!

Okay tasha, that looks fantastic! This last weekend it was my birthday. I am a vegetarian and somewhere along the way I told my boyfriend I hadn't had corn dogs since I was a little kid and how I loved Hot Dog on a Stick cheese on a stick. For a surprise he bought a fryer and made veggie dogs on a stick. He used an Alton Brown recipe with jalapeno and a little chili pepper. It was soooo good. We also went to California Pizza Kitchen for lunch, but really, the corn dogs were so much better! I love to help him cook, I got to stir the dry ingredients! :lol:

Whatcha eatin......NOT THICK RICE CAKES ANYMORE!!! Crikey, bit one with a hard bit of rice in it this morning and gave myself a tooth ache, ouchy!

I had some of my kids left over ravioli... then i washed it down with a beer. And now i am snacking on some of the 70% dark chocolate I bought to soap with... fingers crossed some of it makes it until 8pm when my kids are asleep. Things are not looking hopeful for chocolate soap tonight ;)

I made out like a bandit today, my BF made two meals! I got the left overs too! He made french toast using jhollah bread and a custard. Drying the bread out so it soaked the custard up just right. Cooked in a pan and then finished in the oven so it cooks through. I never knew these things! It had powdered sugar and real maple syrup. I thought I had died eating it.

He had made a traditional pumpkin pie with a sugar pie pumpkin last month, which was thick, savory soup. Froze the left overs and took some out and turned it into a pasta sauce. Oh my was it fantastic. We had garlic bread and he made parmesan crackers. I was in food heaven today. I really can't cook anything. I have to ask someone how to cook a potato and I am not making a joke. To have fabulous food made for me? Ooohhhh, it was a good Saturday!

Back