What would YOU say about handmade soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
I recently accepted a commission to make gifts for Mardi Gras. A member of one of the New Orleans' Krewes asked me to create guest soaps based on the Krewe's 2017 theme for his traditional gift at their annual Lundi Gras luncheon! The theme is "The Wizard of Oz", so we decided on 3 guest-sized soaps per gift bag in the traditional Mardi Gras colors of purple, gold, and green in these scents. And of course I'm using fleur-de-lis molds :)
Purple = 'Flying Monkeys' - MO Velvet Peppercorn FO
Gold = 'Yellow Brick Road' - BB Crisp Apple Rose FO
Green = 'Emerald City' - Peak Green Clover & Aloe FO
The gift bags are my own (with my company name and logo on them), and the customer requested that I put one of my business cards in each bag. There are over 100 members of this Krewe, so I've been soaping like mad!!
He also asked me to give him any info I wanted him to share when he presented his gifts to the Krewe. I'm kind of at a loss here...he's already said he's going to share how much he loves my soaps and my ties to New Orleans and Louisiana, which is why he chose my company for his gift. This is such a great opportunity, and I don't want to miss a chance to tell people about what we as soapmakers do and why we're so freaking awesome!!
Any thoughts?

Well, the reason I love homemade soap is because it has made a huge difference in the condition of my skin. I no longer have extremely dry painful skin since switching to homemade soap. Homemade soap is less stripping than commercial "soap" and all of the natural glycerin remains in homemade soap. Commercial manufactures remove the glycerin to use in other industrial applications, only returning a small amount to the "soap" they make. I'm able to control the chemicals that are in my soap, as well. Commercial manufacturers make a synthetic detergent as opposed to a true soap. It's those chemicals that can cause allergic reactions and other irritations. I make a mild, true soap with few chemicals and no detergents, that cleans my skin without stripping the natural oils. I'm heading into my second winter using my own homemade soap and, so far, I haven't had cracked, bleeding knuckles since making the switch. That right there is a good enough reason to use homemade soap: no bleeding knuckles and less use of lotions and creams.

Cerelife - why did you start making soap? Why do you continue to make soap?
Answer those, and you'll have a good start.

Maybe my reasons will resonate or remind you of your motivations, so here goes. I love historical sites - especially with re-enactments of old skills like horse shoe, candle and soap making. Much of my childhood was spent in the rural Midwest and that provided me with lots of rustic and old fashioned experiences - like square dancing in a 1 room school house in the 80's, my grandfather's truck was straight out of the Walton's, my aunt picking me up from school in a covered wagon and team of horses!

I love to feel and touch soap. I love the historical connection it provides. I love the creativity and modern ways we have to make a consistent and predictable handmade product - one that leaves my skin happy instead of dry and irritated like every single commercial bar I've used in the last 10 years.

Most importantly, soap awes me. Soap is vital. Soap saves lives. I don't have a "valuable" skill - I've worked as a Pharmacy Technician and in child care and those are not valued occupations. Because I am a pretty skilled soap maker and improving all the time, I now feel like I do something important.

ETA: A big congratulations on the commission!!!

Last edited:
Tell them how home based businesses always were and are now the life blood of south Louisiana, that we always were a do-it-yourself culture. Making soap brings what our grandmothers used to do into the current century. You are taking that old skill and making it modern while keeping it really, really Louisiana. And while it is your work, it is also your way of laisser le bon temp rouler!

I don't know if this will help: the best compliment on my soap was from my mom, this summer I convinced her to actually use the soap I've gifted her and after a month of daily swimming (in a chlorinated pool) she told me that she doesn't need to use lotion every day or even as much as she used to in general. As much as I love soaping I know I'll continue if only to be able to give my family a gift of healthier skin.

Tell them how home based businesses always were and are now the life blood of south Louisiana, that we always were a do-it-yourself culture. Making soap brings what our grandmothers used to do into the current century. You are taking that old skill and making it modern while keeping it really, really Louisiana. And while it is your work, it is also your way of laisser le bon temp rouler!

I think this is a good message to go with. The majority in the audience may not care much about soap and how or why it's made, but they should all understand supporting local businesses and maintaining their culture.

I don't know if this will help: the best compliment on my soap was from my mom, this summer I convinced her to actually use the soap I've gifted her and after a month of daily swimming (in a chlorinated pool) she told me that she doesn't need to use lotion every day or even as much as she used to in general. As much as I love soaping I know I'll continue if only to be able to give my family a gift of healthier skin.

Yes, BattleGnome's experience is mine as well. My DIL told me how much she loves the fact that she doesn't have to use lotion any more because my handcrafted soap leaves her skin feeling so soft and supple. Besides experiencing this with my own skin, to hear a loved one say it is a very high compliment and certainly validating.

The other thing I would do is ask him what it is about your soap that he likes so much and maybe incorporate that into your blurb. Perhaps a one sentence quote from a customer, and the customer being him. Only he needs to know that the quote came from him, but by doing so you would be strengthening the your brand with both him and his company. He's bound to have something to say about your soap that you can use.

I would add that it is the most environmentally friendly form of soap reducing our overall chemical footprint. It is made with ingredients that are produced by the food industry with minimal processing and energy expenditure and it is totally biodegradable minimizing damage to the waterways.

Back