What Would Be Great Oil Blends?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeggieOPeach

Reaction score
Hello soapers,

So, as of today I purchase a great deal of fragrance oils to use in my future soaping crafts. For the most part, the soap I want to achieve is going to be a unisex kind of soap where everyone can use the soap without it being 100% masculine or feminine. I want to ask your opinions and see what would be a good mixture. I purchased a set of fragrance oils from Virginia Candle Supply and Nature Garden.

First soap: Cherry and Pineapple, Sweet Grass, and Patchouli.

Second soap: Green Apple, Sweet Grass, and Patchouli.

Do you think these scents would achieve an androgynous type of smell? Or would this lean more for a masculine type of smell?

I don't think these are masculine at all. I like fruity scents, but can't stand patchouli.... maybe have a "patchouli-free" version? Green apple and sweet grass sounds really nice; I can't imagine the other one too much.

I thought about using sandalwood. I'm still new to the soap making arena and saw that patchouli is one of the male chosen fragrances. I never smelled patchouli before, but I figured it would be nice to have a masculine and feminine blend of scents. However, I've been reading a couple of threads and read that patchouli is a "love it or hate it" type of smell and now I feel skeptical for purchasing the patchouli oil. When my oils arrive I'll definitely smell them and make a proper conclusion of what to use. Thank you for the response!

Patchouli is a love it-hate it kind of scent on its own, but it is very nice when added to a blend. Just use it sparingly - a little goes a long way. It's much easier to add a bit more than to try to compensate for too much. I'm in the love it camp - even straight up with nothing added.

Most fragrance oils are nicely blended and good to use on their own. If you want to add to them, you can do that of course. Sweet Grass and Patchouli might make a nice blend - I'm not too sure about putting it with pineapple. You'll just have to try a few blends to see what you like. You can do this by putting a drop or two of each of the fragrance oils on cotton balls and sniffing them in different combinations to get an idea of what you like.

Patchouli is a love it-hate it kind of scent on its own, but it is very nice when added to a blend. Just use it sparingly - a little goes a long way. It's much easier to add a bit more than to try to compensate for too much. I'm in the love it camp - even straight up with nothing added.

Most fragrance oils are nicely blended and good to use on their own. If you want to add to them, you can do that of course. Sweet Grass and Patchouli might make a nice blend - I'm not too sure about putting it with pineapple. You'll just have to try a few blends to see what you like. You can do this by putting a drop or two of each of the fragrance oils on cotton balls and sniffing them in different combinations to get an idea of what you like.

My fragrances just came in the mail today, so I immediately went ahead to try them out. And, much to my suprise, I love patchouli more than the sweetgrass fragrance. To me, patchouli smells like a sweetened, woody, scent. Goes very nicely with my cherry pineapple. I think I'll use majority of my sweet pineapple and perhaps increments of patchouli. I'm not too sure about the sweetgrass unless I want a tiny hint of it.

Back