What went wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley Susan Madigan

Reaction score
I am very new to this but last Sunday I did a melt and pour. Glycerine base, red colour, rose petals and patchouli scent.

Being cautious I melted a small block of base and added dried rose petals, red colour and the FO. I didn't use enough base maybe I should have added water or milk as it didn't fill the mould but once it cooled I had a perfectly formed round soap okay it was about a quarter of an inch thick but it looked good, red and translucent so when I held it up to the light I could see the petals in it. It also smelt nice maybe a little weak on the scent and when I used it, it lathered beautifully and felt lovely and soft but....

The colour stained my hands

What did I do wrong?

To much color and you cannot add water or milk to m&p. What type of colorant did you use and what m&p base? With coloring you have to use soap and body safe colorants, not crayons or candle colors. If you did not fill the mold you obviously did not melt down enough base. You could have melted additional m&p sprayed the set layer well with alcohol and poured on another layer. I do not know about using real rose petals in m&p, they turn black in cp soap but silk flowers can be used, taking in consideration I do not know what you used for rose petals.

definitely sounds like the colorant used. Just an FYI for later, rose petals in M & P can leave green and red spots where the heat of the soap makes the petals/leaves bleed.

After being used a couple of times the excess colour vanished so I am going to be positive it was a first attempt after all it looks good, lathers well, smells great and doesn't leave my skin feeling dry like most soaps do

So it's almost a success just need to balance the colour

When I went to the workshop to learn how to do this they added milk to the base?

Colour was sold as suitable for soap/candle/bath bomb making

Last edited by a moderator:
M&P base is not made to add in liquid additives. It would be better for you to contact the manufacturer of the base you are using and ask what and what percentages you can add to your base. The workshop may very well not know. Not everyone teaching really know what they are doing. Even adding additional oil in bases can be iffy and need to be very tiny amounts. You want a milk soap then it is best to purchase a gm m&p base. Keep in mind, not all m&p bases are actual soap based, some are only surfactant based. The key is purchase a quality base and ask what you can do with it, as far as additives.

If you use mica for your color, you might try mixing it first with equal parts Polysorbate 80 and then adding it to your melted base. However if you add too much color, nothing will stop it from bleeding out. If you do try this, please tell how it turns out.

Well last night I tried again- since the last attempt I have got a silicon mould with a dozen moulds in it. Last time I didn't want to melt too much base as it would just be wasted but this time I figured if I melted too much then I had capacity.

Melted the base and added a small amount of milk as much colour as I added last time (but this time it was of course being added to a much bigger load of base) but this was an orange colour and a generous splash of gingerbread FO, mixed it all in until the colour was uniformly distributed, poured it into half a dozen moulds and left it to set and it came out the silicon mould with no problem

Well it looks pretty good and smells really nice, got the colour even and it's a nice sunny orange. I was doing it for a friend who wanted to try some of my soap after using the other one so I am just waiting for him to let me know how it works as a soap

You do not have to waste m&p base you just re-melt it and use it again. As I mentioned above you should Not add milk to m&p base, depending on the base you risk spoilage. Purchase a Goat's Milk base if you want soap with milk. There is no way the m&p base will react (saponifiy) the fats in the milk. Milk base is made with milk for liquid in a soap based m&p, not all m&p is soap based, especially the clear and ultra clear bases which are usually surfactant based. I certainly would not give away soaps with added milk, no matter what you see on the Internet or You Tube.

You do not have to waste m&p base you just re-melt it and use it again. As I mentioned above you should Not add milk to m&p base, depending on the base you risk spoilage. Purchase a Goat's Milk base if you want soap with milk

Thanks spoilage did occur to me and I am certainly considering a goats milk base when my current stock runs out. I really didn't know you could re-melt the base

Adding things to your melt and pour should be done at a minimum. And i mean additives such as coconut oil sweet almond oil shea butter etc. i never add more than 1% because it will affect the lather of your finished soap! Milk and things that can spoil should never be added to melt and pour. I dont recommend flower petals as additives to MP either. Just an FYI.

My friend reports it lathers well and smells fantastic and as they are really small bars he's going to put the rest in the freezer and bring them out as needed.. At the workshop I made 5 small bars with semi skimmed milk in the mix and they've just been stored in a cupboard and two months later still smell fine?

You can add milk to melt and pour soap base. However, it must be POWDERED milk. I only add about 1 teaspoon per pound & the finished soap has a richer lather. I also add the powdered milk at the beginning so it'll mix well with the soap base.

^^^I would truly like to know how milk powder in m&p base is going to make lather better. You are still putting milk in a product that is is already a finished product so nothing can react. I still stand with what I said about not adding milk to m&p, purchase a milk base. I base this on the experience of my daughter who purchased and poured over 1200k lbs of m&p a year. She told me she tried it in her beginning days and it did go bad

There are so many self-published soapmaking books out there giving, dare I say, bad advice! These books get picked up by bloggers and then onto pinterest... and then everyone thinks it is ok. I was cleaning out some books on my Kindle app and came across a m&p book that had a recipe adding banana puree to the soap base. I gagged, left a bad review on goodreads and moved on.

There are so many self-published soapmaking books out there giving, dare I say, bad advice! These books get picked up by bloggers and then onto pinterest... and then everyone thinks it is ok. I was cleaning out some books on my Kindle app and came across a m&p book that had a recipe adding banana puree to the soap base. I gagged, left a bad review on goodreads and moved on.

That's crazy o.o It would spoil so fast.

Latest posts

Back