What went wrong with this soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
What went wrong with this soap. Water was replaced with coconut water and I added lye to coconut water in a ice bath just as you would goat milk. It did turn light orange before I added to oils but temp. was kept down to 85. I put mold in a oven at 160 until it looked like [FONT=&quot]vaseline then removed and put in styrofoam box for 24 hrs. I want to utilize the option of using nourishing waters as well as milks. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ny advice would be appreciated. I'd also like to know why I got so many air bubbles.[/FONT]
SeabreezeSoap.jpg

SeabreezeSoap2.jpg

[/FONT]

look like you may have scorched the milk.

I used powder goats milk. if my recipe ask for 7 oz water i take 1 oz and put it aside. I mix the goats powder in the 1 oz. i proceed with mix the rest of the water with the lye. then add the the 1oz mixture after i have i have mixed my lye with the fats. this way i don't burn anything.

It looks like color transfer from a mold or maybe it from the fragrance if you used some and didn't get it mixed I use milk all the time and it can turn a peachy color. It could have started to overheat possibly.

Air bubbles get added when you don't keep the head of the stickblender submerged. You probably need a taller/narrower container to stick blend in. Also, silicone molds tend to form air bubbles on the soap when you CPOP with them.

The color could be caused by color transfer, or overheating. Most people avoid gelling CM or GM soaps.

I used coconut WATER in this batch and used wooden molds, but molds were lined with freezer paper first. The suggestions about using a more narrow bowl is very helpful and I will definitely try it next time.

Did the coconut water have any additives? What scent if any did you use? Whenever I use any alternative liquid, I use just enough plain water to dissolve the lye while the AL gets mixed into the warm oils.

Keeping the lye out of your AL really helps prevent any weirdness. Store bought aloe juice is the one exception, I use it at 100% water replacement, it doesn't react badly when lye is mixed with it.

If I am using 2.05 oz lye what would be the minimum ounces of water I would need to completely dissolve the lye.

Back