What Went Wrong? Tongue Zap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made a 5-lb CP batch: Olive Oil (20 oz), Coconut Oil (25 oz), Avocado Oil (8 oz), Castor Oil (5 oz.), Distilled water (18 oz.), 8.1 oz lye (5% superfat), and at the end, just before pouring it in the mold added 4 tablespoons of honey and a splash of anise essential oil. Anyway, the only thing different on this recipe from the last time I made it is the addition of the honey. The last time came out quite well (if I do say so myself, lol). This time, I did a "touch of the tongue" and got quite a zap, again just before pouring it in the mold (wrong time to "taste test?) One other thing, the oils were 110 degrees and the lye/water about 100 when I mixed. Any ideas what went wrong? The only difference was the honey. I'm still pretty new at this. Thanks in advance! Dave :?:

For cold process soap, wait until you unmold the soap and cut the bars to do the zap test. Some people wait a couple of days.

Yes, you will always get a zap on CP soap before molding. Like others said it takes a couple of days for zap to disappear (if all is well in the recipe). HP soap should be zap tested before pouring as it is a different creature.

Back