What went wrong here? Pine tar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused, my two recipes calculated to the same finished volume, but filled the mold to completely different heights. Anyone know why it would do this?
The first one filled it perfectly, and the second one was a lot shorter

I'm confused, my two recipes calculated to the same finished volume, but filled the mold to completely different heights. Anyone know why it would do this?
The first one filled it perfectly, and the second one was a lot shorter

1st, Weight is not equal to Volume. Two recipes may weigh the same, but still have different volumes.

2nd, Not all ingredients of the same weight take up the same amount of space. In other words, 1 pound of one thing may take of more space than 1 pound of another thing (example: a pound of feathers to a pound of steel.) Liquids like water and oil differ in weight to volume. For example, water weighs more than oil, so 1 liter of water takes up more space than 1 liter of oil. Pine Tar is yet another ingredient that you changed from one recipe to the next, and that would also change the volume.

3rd, Heat affects density as well, so even if all else had been equal, it would still alter the volume to a degree.

The major differences between your 2 recipes (as shown in posts #1 & #15) that would alter the volume are:

Recipe #1 contains more oil AND more water, but less pine tar. Fragrance is listed, but you said you did not add a fragrance, so your posted recipe has the wrong weight, which is listed in post #1 as a total batch weight of 402.71 grams, although it should have been 394 Grams.

Recipe #2 contains less oil AND less water, but more pine tar. Also in this one your recipe does not include the fragrance error, so your total batch weight of 401 grams should be accurate.

Known: how water & oil differ from each other in terms of volume versus weight

Unknowns: 1. Heat differences between the two batchs, AND
2. How pine tar differs from oil or water in terms of volume versus weight*

Therefore, two different recipes of the same weight CAN and often do take up a different space inside the same mold.

*Although, it appears that equal volumes of Tar weighs more than water, I am not sure how Pine Tar compares to water in terms of volume vs weight, and I didn't want to mess with any just now to find out (too messy) and I could not actually find anything online to give me a definitive answer.

1st, Weight is not equal to Volume. Two recipes may weigh the same, but still have different volumes.

2nd, Not all ingredients of the same weight take up the same amount of space. In other words, 1 pound of one thing may take of more space than 1 pound of another thing (example: a pound of feathers to a pound of steel.) Liquids like water and oil differ in weight to volume. For example, water weighs more than oil, so 1 liter of water takes up more space than 1 liter of oil. Pine Tar is yet another ingredient that you changed from one recipe to the next, and that would also change the volume.

3rd, Heat affects density as well, so even if all else had been equal, it would still alter the volume to a degree.

The major differences between your 2 recipes (as shown in posts #1 & #15) that would alter the volume are:

Recipe #1 contains more oil AND more water, but less pine tar. Fragrance is listed, but you said you did not add a fragrance, so your posted recipe has the wrong weight, which is listed in post #1 as a total batch weight of 402.71 grams, although it should have been 394 Grams.

Recipe #2 contains less oil AND less water, but more pine tar. Also in this one your recipe does not include the fragrance error, so your total batch weight of 401 grams should be accurate.

Known: how water & oil differ from each other in terms of volume versus weight

Unknowns: 1. Heat differences between the two batchs, AND
2. How pine tar differs from oil or water in terms of volume versus weight*

Therefore, two different recipes of the same weight CAN and often do take up a different space inside the same mold.

*Although, it appears that equal volumes of Tar weighs more than water, I am not sure how Pine Tar compares to water in terms of volume vs weight, and I didn't want to mess with any just now to find out (too messy) and I could not actually find anything online to give me a definitive answer.
Thank you, I see how some small differences could add up pretty fast, especially with me fixing the fragrance error etc. My temp was vastly different too as I was trying to avoid the false trace I got on the first batch.

Back