What went wrong? Avert your eyes....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cmzaha I think he put 123 in the wrong box, so it made it look like he added 209g fragrance. But if you look at his notes at the bottom (I think on the attachment) he put in 41g each of 3 fragrances. He also crossed out the 209 and wrote 123. Still a bit higher than typical percentages, but probably not dangerous given the oils used, yes?

Martha, I am still laughing and crying and it's been 10 minutes and I can barely see to type!! I showed you mine, now you have to show me yours!!😂
[/QUOTE]

1BBE8967-381D-470F-8EE8-4EBDB2308EC5_1_201_a.jpeg
Okay @Zing, here it is. I was well on my way to making a perfectly nice oatmeal soap. And then at the last second I tossed in some soap shavings. What would have been a simple, rustic oatmeal-colored soap is now just ugly. Sigh.

Martha, I am still laughing and crying and it's been 10 minutes and I can barely see to type!! I showed you mine, now you have to show me yours!!😂

View attachment 52047
Okay @Zing, here it is. I was well on my way to making a perfectly nice oatmeal soap. And then at the last second I tossed in some soap shavings. What would have been a simple, rustic oatmeal-colored soap is now just ugly. Sigh.
[/QUOTE]Must be something going around.... :) Actually yours doesn't look so bad. Interesting shade of greige you got there.

I get a light yellow with lemongrass. Mine fades a bit but never disappears. I don't use micas so can't help you there, but you might want to contact your supplier and see if yellow will bleed out of the green.

View attachment 52047
[/QUOTE]
It looked fine until I zoomed in and saw the pink, orange, and green. Normally, I'm all for "it's not what you wanted, but it looks great!"... But the best I can do for these is that they're not that bad from the thumbnail. Or from a distance, probably. And I'm sure the soap itself is quite nice. :nodding:

[/QUOTE]
It looked fine until I zoomed in and saw the pink, orange, and green. Normally, I'm all for "it's not what you wanted, but it looks great!"... But the best I can do for these is that they're not that bad from the thumbnail. Or from a distance, probably. And I'm sure the soap itself is quite nice. :nodding:
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think this one will be fine for my shower. Not for gifts. Oh well. It's been almost a year since I've made soap, so I'm not totally surprised.

@Zing, The only thing I want to say, is watch your Linoleic & Linolenic acid numbers. Generally it’s recommended to keep those below 15. I personally keep below 12. Linoleic & Linolenic Acids are feel good skin loving oils, but, at too high an amount can predispose your soap to DOS. I live in South Florida and really have to watch what I use as DOS isn’t fun. Also, some essential oils do change out the color of your soap. I participated in a challenge a while ago that called for stone soaps. I used grapefruit see extract & grapefruit & pink grapefruit essential oil and my charcoal soap turned green!

So after 24+ hours, about 90% of the yellow has faded! Wicky wicky what?! The color combo doesn't look quite as ghastly -- or maybe I'm just getting used to it. Now my guess is the yellow was from the lemongrass essential oil that is now getting reabsorbed or saponified. I'll try to remember to take pics after a good cure and will do some quality testing. Darn gremlins!
Thanks, @linne1gi for the science tip!

So after 24+ hours, about 90% of the yellow has faded! Wicky wicky what?! The color combo doesn't look quite as ghastly -- or maybe I'm just getting used to it. Now my guess is the yellow was from the lemongrass essential oil that is now getting reabsorbed or saponified. I'll try to remember to take pics after a good cure and will do some quality testing. Darn gremlins!
Thanks, @linne1gi for the science tip!
Do you have a photo of the transformation?

Looks so much better without the yellow. Baby barf soap has been named "Beautiful on the Inside" and sent to friends along with some much nicer ones. It's part of my 2020 series of mishaps. I think we can all relate.

I think 'saggy skin' soap would be a real turn off. Fully Monty certainly sounds better, but would not appeal to me personally. How about 'Rivers & Valleys' or 'Winter Tiger' something reminiscent of flowing nature of the design, or the scent (whatever that may be.)

To me it is a very pretty soap and it deserves a pretty name.

I think 'saggy skin' soap would be a real turn off. Fully Monty certainly sounds better, but would not appeal to me personally. How about 'Rivers & Valleys' or 'Winter Tiger' something reminiscent of flowing nature of the design, or the scent (whatever that may be.)

To me it is a very pretty soap and it deserves a pretty name.
Thank you @earlene . I don’t think I could duplicate the results on this one. I like the pink and I like the rivers. I think the lines are a little odd (hence the saggy skin). I packait up for friends and called it by its fragrance, which is lavender mint. @Zing I can’t believe you haven’t weighed in yet!

Back