What went wrong? Avert your eyes....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aack, people! Hoping some experts can weigh in here -- especially if this soap is safe to use. Yikes, this is truly my worst soap! And I'm not being my normal self-deprecating perfectionist self, this is going to give me nightmares.o_O

The color combination (I hear the 70s calling demanding their design back) was not what I was going for. The green and black are fine. I also wanted brown & red but got orange and pink. For brown I should've used more cocoa and I've already ordered new red micas thanks to suggestions on a separate thread.

BUT where the heck did the yellow come from??! Is it too much essential oil and is it safe to use??

I used a tried and true recipe and colorants I've used before. I hand-stirred and conservatively stick blended to emulsion, then divided into separate colors for colorants and scent. Then I did more hand stirring for forever. I unmolded after 24 hours like usual. Only thing I can think of is it a scent issue?
20201129_132824.jpg20201129_132851.jpg20201129_134436.jpg20201129_134503.jpg

I couldn't find usage rates for marjoram. Recipe is attached. Any feedback is much appreciated!
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Document_2020-11-29_143243.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Did you really use SEVEN OUNCES of fragrance in 60 oz oils? That seems like a huge amount to me. I made 42 oz oils with 1.7 oz EO last night, although of course different ones to you. I don't know that it is the problem but maybe??

Ok, I'm going to be brutally honest here. Ready?

I really, REALLY like this soap. The swirls are awesome, the colors are fun, and the smell is no doubt fantastic. If someone gave me a bar of that soap as a gift, I'd be like, "Squeeeeeee!!!"

And I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't lie and say that I did.

Your total usage rate for the EOs was a bit high at about 8.4% of oils. @Guspuppy his 123g of fragrance = 4.3 oz, not 7oz., yes?

Probably the EO colors did affect the color of the batter a bit, and may have created that pretty (yes, pretty!) yellow that we are seeing. But as long as the EOs aren't oozing out, and the soap isn't irritating to the skin after a nice cure, then you have a fine soap there, sir.

Last edited:
@ Alioop it was 209g not 123 g fragrance so yes it was 7 oz. But if you use 6% or so of total batch weight you get away with a much higher percentage of fragrance. With some hard to stick fragrances I go with batch weight not Oil weight so I use a lot more fragrance in some soaps.

I really like the look of your soap and I agree if it does not cause irritation do not throw it away. It get diluted with a lot of water in the shower or bath and will smell awesome in the bathroom or kitchen.

I love the colors and the design! The beautiful accident that is called soap!!! Hence my earlier posted pipe swirl where red became orange, I've used lemongrass in my soap before and it did tint my 100% CO a wee bit yellow, but it was just a dish soap bar and not really an issue.

My latest bottle of lemongrass EO is fairly yellow and I can count on it to color the soap a bit, but not as much as you’re seeing, plus the other EOs were clear. I once had a confetti soap that developed yellow blotches on the top right away, and too quickly to be DOS. I don’t know what caused them and they eventually faded away. I hope you will keep us posted on if/how that color changes!

@ Alioop it was 209g not 123 g fragrance so yes it was 7 oz. But if you use 6% or so of total batch weight you get away with a much higher percentage of fragrance. With some hard to stick fragrances I go with batch weight not Oil weight so I use a lot more fragrance in some soaps.

I really like the look of your soap and I agree if it does not cause irritation do not throw it away. It get diluted with a lot of water in the shower or bath and will smell awesome in the bathroom or kitchen.

@cmzaha I think @AliOop was looking in the lower left hand corner where @Zing listed the amount of eo he used under additives. He lists 41g each of three oils so that would add-up to 123g total. I’m not sure why the calc has a different amount listed.

I never thought of this but it makes sense! I won't worry so much if I over-pour my fragrances from now on. Thanks @cmzaha!

I'm so glad to know this! Thanks!
@Zing what precisely were your colorants? The reason I ask, is because I know some green Micas have a small amount of very fine yellow in them, which can get separated/bleed out under the right (or wrong) conditions.
I used Bramble Berry kermit green mica, bubblegum and merlot micas; charcoal, and cocoa -- all have never bled for me in the past.
I like them too! The 70s were all good times for me! ☮ What color were you intending the yellow to be?
I WAS NOT INTENDING YELLOW AT ALL!!! WTH?! I was going for green/black/tan/red and got green/black/orange/pink/YELLOW!
@cmzaha I think @AliOop was looking in the lower left hand corner where @Zing listed the amount of eo he used under additives. He lists 41g each of three oils so that would add-up to 123g total. I’m not sure why the calc has a different amount listed.
I'm stupid with the soapcalc, don't look at the fragrance fields at the top -- I put the correct weights down at the bottom, 41 g each of essential oils of marjoram, lavender, lemongrass.
Sorry @Zing, it’s truly hideous. If it’s any consolation, I think I just made a batch with baby vomit colored confetti in it.
Martha, I am still laughing and crying and it's been 10 minutes and I can barely see to type!! I showed you mine, now you have to show me yours!!😂

Latest posts

Back