What went horribly wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impish

Reaction score
After about 8 years of making soap, I've had my first major batch failure and would really appreciate some advice about what might have caused the major malfunction.
Recipe: 30% Olive Oil, 30% Palm, 18% RBO, 20% Coconut, 2% Castor (usually use 5%, ran out), 1032g oils
33% lye concentration, 1 tsp Sugar (simple syrup) added to warm lye solution, 2 tsp Sodium Lactate added to cooled lye solution.
27g Orange 10x, 13g Peppermint, 4g Anise, 1g clove bud
Oils may have been a little warmer than usual, lye solution may have been a little cooler than usual.
Thin trace after only a few bursts of stick blender, added essential oils, after 2 quick burst with blender, pudding! Tried to separate for color but it was solid, couldn't whisk into submission, attempted to dump in a loaf mold and left it to cool whilst I wept in frustration.
Once cool I chopped it up, hot processed and now have a hideous looking but delightful smelling home soap.
Problem is, I can't figure out what happened. Please help!
IMG_20210306_143747128.jpg
Inspiration
IMG_20210306_143934802.jpg
Reality

Most likely it was the clove EO, spicy eos are notorious for causing seize.
You would need to separate, color then hand mix in the scent when you are ready to pour each color.

Agreed, it was the clove EO. Even a few drops of that will accelerate trace because it contains eugenol. Same with cinnamon and a few other EOs.

I think, like clove, some Anise also has a low amount of eugenol, though in a lower amount than clove.

ETA: Oops - @AliOop and my reply crossed paths...sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, will try Obsidian's method once I regain my nerve to try again.
I've worked with clove and anise blends at least 5 times without trouble and this may have given me a false sense of security.

Back