What went horribly wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impish

Reaction score
After about 8 years of making soap, I've had my first major batch failure and would really appreciate some advice about what might have caused the major malfunction.
Recipe: 30% Olive Oil, 30% Palm, 18% RBO, 20% Coconut, 2% Castor (usually use 5%, ran out), 1032g oils
33% lye concentration, 1 tsp Sugar (simple syrup) added to warm lye solution, 2 tsp Sodium Lactate added to cooled lye solution.
27g Orange 10x, 13g Peppermint, 4g Anise, 1g clove bud
Oils may have been a little warmer than usual, lye solution may have been a little cooler than usual.
Thin trace after only a few bursts of stick blender, added essential oils, after 2 quick burst with blender, pudding! Tried to separate for color but it was solid, couldn't whisk into submission, attempted to dump in a loaf mold and left it to cool whilst I wept in frustration.
Once cool I chopped it up, hot processed and now have a hideous looking but delightful smelling home soap.
Problem is, I can't figure out what happened. Please help!
IMG_20210306_143747128.jpg
Inspiration
IMG_20210306_143934802.jpg
Reality

Agreed, it was the clove EO. Even a few drops of that will accelerate trace because it contains eugenol. Same with cinnamon and a few other EOs.

I think, like clove, some Anise also has a low amount of eugenol, though in a lower amount than clove.

ETA: Oops - @AliOop and my reply crossed paths...sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, will try Obsidian's method once I regain my nerve to try again.
I've worked with clove and anise blends at least 5 times without trouble and this may have given me a false sense of security.

Back