What type of soybean oil to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narnia

Reaction score
Soaper's choice has two types of SBO. Liquid and shortening. I had no idea that it came in a shortening form.

What do you all use mostly? And what would be the resulting difference?

If you use soybean oil you should just get it from the supermarket where they have the cooking oils. Probably a bottle of Crisco, but check labels to make sure of what oil you're getting.

However, there are good reasons it's not a traditional soaping oil. You can't even use much, and personally I don't think you need to use any.

The only reason I was considering using it, was that Genny had used it in her shampoo / body bar.

What does it do to your hair??
Word of advice, hair does not like soap. The ph is to high and will eventually damage your hair. Also to much superfat will eventually gum up your hair. In my years of doing hair for a living I would get a lot of messes to clean off the hair. The olive oil fad was one of the worst to clean out of hair and mayonnaise was a close second. There is a reason surfactants and emulsifiers are used in shampoos and conditioners. Do some research and learn to make a nice surf based solid shampoo bar. Susan at Swiftycraftymonkey.blogspot.com has a lot of good info about shampoo bars and recipes

I would like to add that each person is dofferent, though, so if you want to try a shampoo bar, go for it. I honestly feel like my hair has never been healthier since I started using a shampoo bar. That may change one day, but it's been almost 2 years now I believe. And my hair absolutely abhors AVC rinses.

It dries it out and makes it feel like straw. I also have color treated hair and it fades the color too quickly. Even with ACV rinse. Hair doesn't like high PH. My mother, like Carolyn was a hairdresser for many many years.

Is your hair color treated to darken or lighten? If lightened, I can't see it fading....

I would like to add that each person is dofferent, though, so if you want to try a shampoo bar, go for it. I honestly feel like my hair has never been healthier since I started using a shampoo bar. That may change one day, but it's been almost 2 years now I believe. And my hair absolutely abhors AVC rinses.

I agree with you. My hair has never been healthier since I started using my goat milk shampoo/body bars for the past few months.

I can't stand the smell of vinegar, so I just use my regular all-natural conditioner afterwards, and I have gotten many compliments on my hair lately. My hair used to look dry, dull, and frizzy before, so that I had to iron my hair to make it look smooth. Not anymore! My hair lies smoothly, has body, shine, and bounce! So, I guess I am not understanding how it could damage hair.

Is your hair color treated to darken or lighten? If lightened, I can't see it fading....

I agree with you. My hair has never been healthier since I started using my goat milk shampoo/body bars for the past few months.

I can't stand the smell of vinegar, so I just use my regular all-natural conditioner afterwards, and I have gotten many compliments on my hair lately. My hair used to look dry, dull, and frizzy before, so that I had to iron my hair to make it look smooth. Not anymore! My hair lies smoothly, has body, shine, and bounce! So, I guess I am not understanding how it could damage hair.

It faded both. I was dark brown, auburn and very light brown with blond/red highlights. Didn't matter which.

I used a shampoo bar faithfully for about a year and a half. My hair was full of body, my scalp was healthy (I have psoriasis and some shampoos irritate it), and I had waves in my normally limp, straight hair. I use a conditioner bar as well.

Then it all went to heck in a handbasket, and my hair felt like straw, it started breaking, and my scalp always felt gross. I had to cut off quite a bit of my hair, and switch to a commercial shampoo (without SLS since that seems to be a trigger). I would love to use a shampoo bar again, but I can't risk it.

One day I plan to make a syndet bar, but it will take me a bit to get all the ingredients.

Shampoo bars work for some people, but not everyone, and not forever.

It faded both. I was dark brown, auburn and very light brown with blond/red highlights. Didn't matter which.

Yes I agree. Dark or light coloured hair fades. My hair is now blond with darker highlights and it starts to fade out to pale whitish blond after about 2 weeks and just gets lighter. I use the purple shampoo and it still fades. The purple shampoo only stops it from going brassy.

Narnia, when I read this I almost had a heart attack, lol... That site is my bath & body bible!!

Sooooo sorry!! I had just clicked on the link that was given!

Yes I agree. Dark or light coloured hair fades. My hair is now blond with darker highlights and it starts to fade out to pale whitish blond after about 2 weeks and just gets lighter. I use the purple shampoo and it still fades. The purple shampoo only stops it from going brassy.

What purple shampoo are you talking about? Don't all shampoos make hair color fade, unless it's a shampoo specially formulated for color-treated hair?

I use henna on my hair and I can't see that it is fading...my shampoo bar makes my hair so glossy that I can't keep my hands out of my hair. I wonder if the goat milk in it makes a diff?

And I wonder why it worked great for some for a year or two but then their hair went wonkers? Is it attributable to the soap, or could it have been a change in health??

What about our ancestors that used lye soap for everything? From bathing, shampooing, to laundry? I grew up in Asia and was raised using bar soap to wash everything. My hair never broke off or was dull....My hair was down to my knees....so I am just not getting it.

In terms of hair not liking alkaline...our bodies are not alkaline either, so it would be better for our skin not to use soap either, unless it could be a ph balanced soap, right? Our hair is part of our body, so I would think that it would have and like the same ph. How can we make ph balance soap?

Thanks so much for the correct link! : ) You made my day and Muskette's!

Purple shampoo keeps the hair from getting brassy (blond & grey hair). There are several companies that make it. It's really purple.

The alkaline level raises the cuticle on our hair. The high PH can damage the cuticle. I've been coloring my hair since I was 15. So, many many years of abuse. It didnt' like shampoo bars.

Some people swear by them. If they work that's great bu tnot everyone can.

Latest posts

Back