What type of pH meter do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggsy

Reaction score
My pH meter desperately needs replacing and I am looking for something that is accurate but not too expensive. We do have a garden pH meter (one of the meters with metal prongs), I've not used/tested it though and don't know what the accuracy is like. Are the prong ones acceptable?
There are a lot more available then when I purchased my last one (over twelve years ago).

I've seen two on Amazon that are cheap and might work? HERE & HERE

Would appreciate suggestions/opinions/recommendations please.

I have the second one. It's extremely easy to use. My husband and I are in a home brewing club so I was able to check the accuracy of it with a few other members who also have pH meters. It was within .03/.18 of the other pH meters that I compared it with.

I have the second one. It's extremely easy to use. My husband and I are in a home brewing club so I was able to check the accuracy of it with a few other members who also have pH meters. It was within .03/.18 of the other pH meters that I compared it with.
Awesome! Thank you 🥰 Good to know that it's fairly accurate as hard finding real reviews. Plus, until just before Christmas last year, I hadn't really used Amazon. Quick deliveries has me a bit too hooked (they certainly saw me coming).
I still am unsure of their service because the ratings/reviews generally are about the seller rather than product - had a few sellers contact me to alter my review, which makes me think it must be a common occurrence so I don't trust the reviews.

My pH meter desperately needs replacing and I am looking for something that is accurate but not too expensive. We do have a garden pH meter (one of the meters with metal prongs), I've not used/tested it though and don't know what the accuracy is like. Are the prong ones acceptable?
There are a lot more available then when I purchased my last one (over twelve years ago).

I've seen two on Amazon that are cheap and might work? HERE & HERE

Would appreciate suggestions/opinions/recommendations please.
Are you sure you need a whole new meter? Many of them have replaceable electrodes, which would be cheaper. I have the Apera PH60, and the electrode is replaceable.

If you only paid $35 or less for the one you have, it probably isn't this kind. Many of the less expensive ones are all one piece.

Also, if you have calibration solutions left over from the one you're replacing, see if the new one can use the same solutions. If not, you'll know you need to buy different ones with the new meter. Usually, if a meter comes with some, it's just enough to last until you can buy more. The packets of powder are nice if you don't use the meter often, since the liquid solution tends to drift after a few weeks (especially the alkaline one) so you can mix it when you need it.

The meters for soil are different than the ones used for food and cosmetics, and don't work the same way. You want the kind with a glass bulb electrode, intended for food/water/cosmetics.

Regarding reviews on Amazon, there are supposed to be separate areas for item reviews and seller reviews, so if a seller is asking you to change your item review to reflect your experience with the seller rather than the item, perhaps they are unaware that they have a page on their seller profile for seller reviews. Or maybe they don't care. Either way I would report them to Amazon for abusing the reviews system.

Regarding reviews on Amazon, there are supposed to be separate areas for item reviews and seller reviews, so if a seller is asking you to change your item review to reflect your experience with the seller rather than the item, perhaps they are unaware that they have a page on their seller profile for seller reviews. Or maybe they don't care. Either way I would report them to Amazon for abusing the reviews system.

Wow, did not know that about Amazon. I will report. I didn't know that I could do that!

Are you sure you need a whole new meter? Many of them have replaceable electrodes, which would be cheaper. I have the Apera PH60, and the electrode is replaceable.

Unfortunately, yep I am sure I have to replace it as it was a casualty of my son's doofness. He was checking pH of cheese and somehow managed to make the shelving in storage cupboard collapse. He got outdated the way as the wine (use for cheese & soap storage) fridge came down. Unfortunately, the Hanna meter as well as was the cheese he'd been curing (& few other random things) were casualties.

I'd like another Hanna one but cannot justify the price at the moment. The Hanna one did everything from soil to soap but to replace with similar model would set me back $400 or so. I really like the ATC on the Hanna and the automatic calibration system, I am going to miss it. My partner is a doctor of mathematics so usually don't have to worry about anything that even slightly nerdy. So calibration buffers, electrodes etc is not something I've had to worry about (& yep I'm extremely lazy when it comes to anything like that) even though the Hanna has an auto calibration.

I couldn't find thr Apera model you mentioned however saw similar models and they were all under $200. I will look into them as they're a lot cheaper than the Hanna. I think the comparable one by Apera, might be, Apera AI311 Premium Series PH60.

And, thank you! I appreciate it! I was told I had to research them this time (normally not my job) and to find 3 cheap ones, 3 mid price and 3 expensive ones. I don't think I'm doing a good job. Not sure I can go as long as he expects without one. I'm thinking of buying a 35 one in the meantime (had hoped could use garden one).

Unfortunately, yep I am sure I have to replace it as it was a casualty of my son's doofness. He was checking pH of cheese and somehow managed to make the shelving in storage cupboard collapse. He got outdated the way as the wine (use for cheese & soap storage) fridge came down. Unfortunately, the Hanna meter as well as was the cheese he'd been curing (& few other random things) were casualties.
If you've been using yours for cheese, the Apera PH60 has an optional spear electrode that is meant for food. That is the one you'll want. The spear electrode is more expensive but I don't believe the standard electrode will work for cheese. You will also want separate electrodes for food and non-food applications.

I'd like another Hanna one but cannot justify the price at the moment. The Hanna one did everything from soil to soap but to replace with similar model would set me back $400 or so. I really like the ATC on the Hanna and the automatic calibration system, I am going to miss it. My partner is a doctor of mathematics so usually don't have to worry about anything that even slightly nerdy. So calibration buffers, electrodes etc is not something I've had to worry about (& yep I'm extremely lazy when it comes to anything like that) even though the Hanna has an auto calibration.
The Apera PH60 has ATC, I don't think I would have bought it if it didn't. Don't be intimidated by the calibration procedure, it is super easy and there's a cheat sheet right inside the lid of the case it comes in so you don't even have to try to remember how to do it. And IIRC there is an indicator that tells you when to replace the electrode, and it just screws off and the new one screws on, so it's all super easy.

I couldn't find thr Apera model you mentioned however saw similar models and they were all under $200. I will look into them as they're a lot cheaper than the Hanna. I think the comparable one by Apera, might be, Apera AI311 Premium Series PH60.
That is the one I have.

And, thank you! I appreciate it! I was told I had to research them this time (normally not my job) and to find 3 cheap ones, 3 mid price and 3 expensive ones. I don't think I'm doing a good job. Not sure I can go as long as he expects without one. I'm thinking of buying a 35 one in the meantime (had hoped could use garden one).
Nah, stop researching and just get the PH60. I think you'll like it. Part of the reason I went with that one is that the spear electrode will let me check the pH of things like lotion and liquid shampoo without having to dilute first, and the usual use of the spear is in food applications. I think that one will be perfect for your projects if you have both the standard and spear electrodes, and it's not even one of the more expensive ones.

Did not realise it was the same model. When I searched on Amazon AU for the Apera PH60 nothing came up other than replacement electrodes. Weird as when search Apera lots came up.

That's what I liked about the old Hanna too, separate electrodes and so worked well with our permaculture living style. Only way I can describe it as we're not hippies nor are we greenies but our garden is permi and I think our lifestyle & kids are alternative to say the least. I don't make cheese my 18 year old does. 🤣 Weird cheeses too... Most without milk (lactose intolerant he is)... crazy but awesome kid 🤣 he has autism (high functioning) and cheese is his current obsession. I just reap the benefits.

Thank you again. 🙏🧡Your detailed post is greatly appreciated. I might get in trouble (I'm going to text your post & another review I found) but I just went ahead and purchased AI311. Most well take advantage of the current exchange rate. We are getting about 80c per dollar. I think it's something to celebrate. 😜

Latest posts

Back