What type of Bath Bomb molds do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromasuzie

Reaction score
There are heaps of options when it comes to molds. What type do you use and why? I love silicone molds for soap making but some of them would be too flexible. I have a couple of stainless steel ones and I've found them ok, they seem a bit difficult to unmold. I looked at the plastic ones but I imagine they would'nt last long. I've seen some threads on using xmas decoration molds? I've also seen those suggesting meat ballers. I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you use and why before I invest any more on this.

I currently use a mooncake press. I prefer the shape, as well as the surface design, over the spherical molds. But I also don't sell at the moment - I only make them as gifts for friends. But I have been asked to sell them and am looking at using the 3-pc press molds with an arbor press (my husband calls it a bench press). That looks like a much healthier option for my wrists than using the manual sphere molds.

I'll Think you have converted me, didn't take much. I can see why you like it, I like my flower soap molds. Will probably have to order overseas as I doubt they're stocked in New Zealand. What brand was yours?

I like the looks of these presses more and more. I do see they have different sizes which relates to gms as well as round or square molds. What sizes do people use? I also notice some have discs while others have silicone molds?

I bought this moon press in 2018 from the brand Dltsi. Assuming it's the same quality it has worked very well for me and the designs are detailed but still came through in the end product.
1617070944531.png

Last edited:
violets2217, interesting that you are only using the 50gm for presents. I presume they get more ;) They certainly look easier than using the other bath bomb molds.

I'll Think you have converted me, didn't take much. I can see why you like it, I like my flower soap molds. Will probably have to order overseas as I doubt they're stocked in New Zealand. What brand was yours?
I bought a random well-rated brand on Amazon. The trickiest part is learning how to insert and remove the different disks. Watching YT and product demo videos helps immensely since the written explanations are unclear at best.

The 50g size is small but so easy to use, and also a great size for shower steamers. The 75g size is probably more equivalent to commercially available bath bombs.

AliOop, thanks for that. I've ordered a 50gm one with 8 different disks so I can have a play. Nice to know the 75g is more equivalent to commercially sold bath bombs. I'm sure there will be a bit of cursing going on when I start to try and pack bath bomb mix into it! I've purchased from Aliexpress, unfortunately buying from Amazon is such an expensive option, the shipping to New Zealand is a killer!

violets2217, interesting that you are only using the 50gm for presents. I presume they get more ;) They certainly look easier than using the other bath bomb molds.
Ha! More bang for your buck! I made the smaller ones so I could give each of the 3 different clays. Plus it was my first time making them... so I started small with my experiment!

@Aromasuzie strong language may or may not have happened when I first tried mine. ;) Watch a few videos for some good tips - like adding the citric acid last, after you have added all the liquids to all the other dry stuff. Here is one that I particularly like:

Bath Bomb Tutorial

Violets2217, I’m a fan of clays too and some of those presses/discs are huge. The biggest I found was 100mm/250g!
AliOop, I’m a research first and get as much info as possible before trialing sort. Didn’t help that my first mix was too wet and yes, I read about citric acid being added last. I did find someone saying it should be more of a “fluffy snow” rather than “wet sand” but at some stage you just have to jump in and experiment. I’m now off to watch your bath bomb tutorial, thanks 😊

Back